Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trubor rebarreled in 9mm minor questions? Has any one done it?

factorysponsered

As we all know its hard to buy 38 super ammo hot enought, and as hard to get components for load our own.

My question is has anyone rebarreled their 38 super (replacement barrel) for 9mm to run factory loads?

I can get plenty of 9mm here in Vegas, and I know I would have to change the guts of my mags.

But I would be able to at least shoot the darn thing in steel challenge or just shoot open minor.

If anyone has done it what is your recoil set up, and what barrel did you order to have cut for 9mm?

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried teh 9mm in your .38 Super? After reading about it on this forum, I fired some factory 9mm, and some 9mm Major (loaded longer also) and they ran without a problem. the consensus is it may work as is, or you may have to change or tweak your extractor. The mm. factory I shot was from 9mm/.38 super comp magazines. My open gun has a gunsmith fit .38 Super Aftec extractor and although I haven't shot it in a match but will in the future as my old azz eyes get worse.

Do a search and you will find several people who shoot 9x19 in their 38super guns. Yes, the mags need to work but they use the 38super barrel with no issues.

I guess I dont know the exact words to search, but that you for the repsonse. I have also reached out to a few other shooters and they are gunna help me out when they can until atlanta arms ships

Are you running STI or SVI mags? If you running SVI, no need to do anything, they work just fine with 38S and 9Major. If you are running STI, try them first before putting a spacer in it. If you loading long (>1.165), most people say they work just fine in those mags. The problems usually comes in when you try to run shorter 9mm in the STI mags. Try them first and if they don't work, get the Hardy spacer and get the 9mm follower also - that's important.

Are you running STI or SVI mags? If you running SVI, no need to do anything, they work just fine with 38S and 9Major. If you are running STI, try them first before putting a spacer in it. If you loading long (>1.165), most people say they work just fine in those mags. The problems usually comes in when you try to run shorter 9mm in the STI mags. Try them first and if they don't work, get the Hardy spacer and get the 9mm follower also - that's important.

I just tuned a buddy's mags for his sti steelmaster. We went with the Hardy spacers and Grams guts. So I would borrow those instead of building my own.

Do a search and you will find several people who shoot 9x19 in their 38super guns. Yes, the mags need to work but they use the 38super barrel with no issues.

I guess I dont know the exact words to search, but that you for the repsonse. I have also reached out to a few other shooters and they are gunna help me out when they can until atlanta arms ships

try "9mm" :)

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=167986&hl=%209mm&st=0

• 3 weeks later...

im in the same boat.... i have gunsmith locally that said if i bought a new trubor barrel from sti he could chamber it for 9 and fit it so i can shoot both, but for some reason lately i cant shoot using a red dot anymore.....need to go back to regular sights

Edited by sludwin

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 38SC and had a 9mm upper built for it. Can't afford to keep loosing 38SC brass. Run a T2 comp and shoot 9mm minor for steel & major for loss brass matches & USPSA. Not too many matches where you can get your brass back anymore. All my 38SC brass is marked but it's a pain in the butt waiting till the end of a match and trying to find your brass. With all the brass whores out there chances are not very good in finding your own brass. Will shoot 38SC in steel matches where you get your brass back. All in all my 38SC top-end has not seen that much action in the past 3 years. I have tuned mags for both 38SC and 9mm, so no issues with mags.

I have Akai and Limcat 9mm open guns. I run SV and STI magazines in the Limcat using spacers in the STI mags. The Akai will not run the STI mags with the spacers in. I took the spacers out and they run 100% even with the short followers. Try them without the spacers first.