Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety Question when using a DA/SA pistol for 3-gun

maverickps

I have been gearing up to start 3-gun, and the pistol I have is a Sig SP2022 in 9mm. When I was reading some other forums it was suggested that a DA/SA pistol is not the greatest idea for competetion shooting since the first trigger pull is different from the rest.

My question is:

1. When using an active retention holster (Safariland ALS for me) would it be acceptable/safe to begin the stage with the pistol in SA mode?
  2. Would you need to decock the pistol each time it is reholstered, even if the stage were say pistol-shotgun-pistol?

My gut feeling is the answers is no, it must always be decocked before holstering, but I was curious if it was allowed, or even safe to do.

Thanks.

Most of the 3 gun matches Ive been to you dont reholster the pistol during a stage. Pistol is either the last gun in the stage or is abandoned on safe in a dump box.

I would venture it is safe to say you will always safety the pistol before you holster no matter what else is happening.

In order to have the hammer cocked while holstered the pistol must have a safety. So your first shot will be double action. I have a P226 that I have been shooting Limited Uspsa and 3 gun. Even after 2 years I still have some problems with the DA first shot quickly followed by a SA shot. I installed a 17 pound hammer spring which took off 25% the DA/SA trigger pull but it still is not where I need to be. I am switching to a Brazos custom STI for limited and keeping the Sig for Production class.

• 4 months later...

Between local matches, one "national" match, and lots of videos online...I've never seen a stage where the pistol was re-holstered

I was a little surprised but on last night's 3 Gun Nation I saw it done. This was coverage of a Pro Qualifier Match. On one of the stages the competitor started with the pistol, then went to the shotgun and finished with shooter's choice of pistol or rifle. Those that finished the stage with the rifle grounded their pistols and those that finished with the pistol holstered them.

Bill