Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with Dillon super swage 600

I just got a super swage 600 directly from Dillon. Im trying to remove the crimp on lake city 308.

No matter what i do, i cant get the crip to roll back enough. Once i set the primer, it doesnt seat deep enough. It sticks out just enough where the case wobbles a little when its set on a flat surface.

Is it possible that its out of spec?

Edited by walker77

Mine is adjusted for 223 to the point that is just barely removes the crimp. However, if I wanted to I could loosen the locknut and adjust the pin inward so that it goes deeper into the pocket. If yours is already set this way and think perhaps your pin's diameter is out of spec, take a measure and I will do the same.

I also assume this is specific only to the cases you've swaged to eliminate the possibility that it is an issue with your priming methods or machine.

The 600 should push the swaged edge outward enough just to allow the primer to be inserted. It has nothing to do with how deep the primer pocket is, or how deep the primer seats. I think you may have a primer seater pin adjustment problem...just a thought.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

then you don't have the 600 set deep enough. measure a before and after shell right at the edge. it should be about .002-.003 difference. you shouldn't have to grind out the bottom of the primer pocket (make it deeper) with the primer pocket tool (if it has that function), because the primer pocket depth should be good to go already.

jj

Eta: by measuring it I mean to measure the diameter of the pocket right at the edge where the swage is. The deeper (up to a point) the 600 is set, the larger the diameter the primer pocket edge will be.

Edited by RiggerJJ

Isn't the SS600 just for rounding the edge at the opening of the primer pocket, making it easier to start seating a primer? Once they're going in, the swaging done should have no effect on seating depth. Or am I missing something?

Isn't the SS600 just for rounding the edge at the opening of the primer pocket, making it easier to start seating a primer? Once they're going in, the swaging done should have no effect on seating depth. Or am I missing something?

Correct. Thats what I am trying to say...

jj