Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best back-lighted tablet for night matches?

bp78

I need to buy two tablets for match scoring (Practiscore) at a weekly night match. I'm looking for something with backlighting - the NST with Glow doesn't have the Glow lighting working once rooted.

Any other tablet solutions to suggest? Fallback plan is for a pair of Google Nexus 7 tablets but was hoping to spend a bit less than those two.

Simple Touch on a clipboard with led reading lights perhaps?

As I understand it you do NOT need to root the Kindle's to run Practiscore, all you have to do is install it. I just got an add from Best Buy that listed them so if you have one close you can check them out.

Brian

Edited by Too_Slow

If you're only going to use them inside, I should think any of the so-called cheap tablets from the really-off brands would do. Problem with them is when you try to take them outside into sunlight. I had one that looked fine inside, but totally milked over white when taken outside, even on an overcast day.

Yeah, we start our match outside at 630pm. During the summer, we'll have to contend with daylight for an hour or more hence I'm asking about the cheaper e-ink options before spending my budget on Nexus 7 tabs.

Once rooted, can the NST with Glow get the Glow/backlighting option to work?

You can install PractiScore on a Kindle by downloading the APK from PractiScore.com, you will need to go to Settings and permit external non-appstore installations.

In terms of recommend for tablets... Kindle Fire HD 7 works pretty well. I have 3 of them I rotate through match use at our club. Our club gets the "early" stuff, so I throw new devices and/or pre-release versions at them pretty much every match.

I'm going to have to sort out how to know that somebody posted a PractiScore question outside of the infinitely growing PractiScore thread. I don't want to get inundated with forum e-mails unrelated to PS, I'm open to suggestions.

Ken N.