Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Ice magwell on XDm 5.25

WidowsSon683

• 1 month later...

Any pics from the side with the mag installed? I'm trying to determine which baseplate height I need with the EZoffs. I don't want a whole lot of extra stickout past the bottom of the magwell, because I would then just go with the ones that add capacity.

thanks

Bob

Wish they made these for the .45... Ended up buying a pistol gear well for mine.

I also wish they would make one for the xd-m 5.25 .45. Haven't bought a magwell yet.

the pistol gear one " works." The website listed it would work with the number two strap, found out it only works with the one on the .45. it attaches by replacing the roll pin for the back strap with a threaded piece that simply threads into the magwell on one side and then butts up against the other inside wall of the magwell. doesn't seem terribly secure but I've never had it budge on me. it's the only option for a magwell on the .45 that I've seen. the other problem though is it is flush with the factory base plates. I made some home made bumpers with a chunk of rubber and double sided tape. gets the job done...

Edited by turkishroy

Wish they made these for the .45... Ended up buying a pistol gear well for mine.

I also wish they would make one for the xd-m 5.25 .45. Haven't bought a magwell yet.

the pistol gear one " works." The website listed it would work with the number two strap, found out it only works with the one on the .45. it attaches by replacing the roll pin for the back strap with a threaded piece that simply threads into the magwell on one side and then butts up against the other inside wall of the magwell. doesn't seem terribly secure but I've never had it budge on me. it's the only option for a magwell on the .45 that I've seen. the other problem though is it is flush with the factory base plates. I made some home made bumpers with a chunk of rubber and double sided tape. gets the job done...

I had that one on my xdm 5.25. I found the same thing and have been working with pistol gear on the problems. I also found that a magazine with even 1 round wouldn't drop free from slide lock.

Waiting on a new one, and its a custom one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I had that one on my xdm 5.25. I found the same thing and have been working with pistol gear on the problems. I also found that a magazine with even 1 round wouldn't drop free from slide lock.

Waiting on a new one, and its a custom one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds familiar. I found my mags doing the same thing. If you look at where the base plate is at the rear when inserted its probably rubbing the mag well. I took a file and rounded the rear corners of my baseplates just so, and no more sticking mags.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds familiar. I found my mags doing the same thing. If you look at where the base plate is at the rear when inserted its probably rubbing the mag well. I took a file and rounded the rear corners of my baseplates just so, and no more sticking mags.

Here's what I found...

empty mag + close slide = drop free

empty mag + slide lock = drop free

loaded mag + closed slide = drop free

loaded mag + slide lock = no drop (unless 7+ rounds in the mag and the weight takes over)

Is that sound about right? Maybe it really is the basepad and even 1 round starts to compress the spring and therefore changing the profile of the basepad ever so slightly...

Might have to do some filing tonight and see if that works.

BTW: here's the video of the PistolGear magwell. They made this custom for me.

Edited by bigdawgbeav

Here's what I found...

empty mag + close slide = drop free

empty mag + slide lock = drop free

loaded mag + closed slide = drop free

loaded mag + slide lock = no drop (unless 7+ rounds in the mag and the weight takes over)

Is that sound about right? Maybe it really is the basepad and even 1 round starts to compress the spring and therefore changing the profile of the basepad ever so slightly...

Might have to do some filing tonight and see if that works.

BTW: here's the video of the PistolGear magwell. They made this custom for me.

I actually just watched your video. I had a pistol grear magwell on my 45 and I had similar problems which I personally found to be unacceptable so I returned it.

I wish someone else made a magwell for the 45. You would think in this modern age of CNC machined parts it would be easy to do.

Edited by JesseM