Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beta C-Mags

EricW

I'm thinking about becoming a Beta mag dealer, since no one else in the area is. What's the opinion of people who actually have owned / used the Beta mags: Is it a real, usable device? Or, is it a gimmicky toy? Are they tough enough to send out with an LEO or serviceman/woman and still be able to sleep at night?

Any reliability issues? Are they fussy to use at all? I know they are heavy and make the gun handle differently, but it would seem that the obvious use for the Beta mag is as a "poor man's SAW" for the smaller, rural LE agency.

I have no experience at all with them, so your real world experience will be greatly appreciated.

As I have witnessed, If you take a face plant and have a yard sale ,the tower will snap off! :D:D

Ivan

SCS Vegas

Wow. That's even better that the out of spec Glock basepad "tactical unload".

Was the mag destroyed?

I bought a (now collector-item "LEO" marked) one a few years ago. Just FYI, a single 100-round burst out of a M4A1 will cause Break-Free to smoke off the barrel through the vents in the handguards in a most amusing way.

They take forever to load, but they run just fine in both of my Open AR's, my Tactical AR, and even a old Colt HBAR...as well as in M4A1. Heavy, which is fine using standard sights or a scope, but they feel...weird...when using handguard-mounted secondary sights. Easy to get used to, but the weight out to both sides is a bit disconcerting the first few times.

I'd drag one around if I was in need of a lot of ammo and was feeling too lazy to reload.

A vendor I ran into at the SHOT show a few years ago told me that his 1.5" diameter 10" barrel ARs was designed to burn a full Beta, reload, and burn a second Beta. He was building ARs for security use. I made a note never to try to run a barricade that he had armed up ;)

Alex

I had one, the feed towers cracked on it a couple times. Shooting full auto with it, I needed a heavier buffer to slow the action down so the magazine could keep up with feeding as it fed slower than a USGI magazine. They can be fun toys, but I sold mine.

Hopefully now that the ban is dead, the manufacturer will benefit from end user feed back it did not previously have as well as have substantial financial motivation to improve the product.