Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springs for 1911 9mm, young girl moving up to 9mm

lockmup68

read the spring threads, but wanted to ask for specific advice on springs.

Daughter just moving up to 9mm from 22 converstions. She's been shooting the 22 conversion on a Glock frame (pink cerakoted BTW). She is very good and uses this combo for all the IDPA and ZSA and rimfire shoots we go to. She wants to move to 9mm, but shooting a G17 in 9, is just too light of frame for her. Shot a guys 9mm 1911 after a match a few weeks ago and the heavier frame really helped and was much easier for her to shoot. So I bit the bullet and picked up a Dawson CRP STI Spartan 9mm 1911.

Curious as to spring package I should start with for the girls (11 yo). I plan on putting together some powder puff 9mm loads for them to get started on to keep them learning proper form and technique. I'll up the power factor on the loads as they get more practice and comfortable with the 9mm. Any suggestions?

Appreciate the help.

Shannon in NC

Currently going through the same thing. We ended up with a 9mm 1911. Currently using 10lb recoil and 17lb mainspring. This is tuned great for 125 PF and will reliably run ammo significantly slower (approx. 110PF). What I found was that my son didn't really notice a difference between minor and sub minor loads. I ended up just loading at about 120PF for him.