Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drop in round test

shortstop

With bbl removed from an 85 Combat , what are you looking for in the drop in round test. I tried it dropping the round in the bbl and fully expected the round to fit flush or below the hood button.

But it is longer. The round is a dummy, so i chambered it and it fits fine with an assembled pistol . I'm using 125 berry bullets with oal of 1.150

Anyone help with the drop in test ?

Edited by shortstop

The point of the drop-in test for me is to make sure the OAL for the particular load fits my barrel.

When I first got my Shadow, I pulled out a can of maybe 500 9mm rounds that were orginally for a Glock 17L. Some 115, 125 and 147. Testing showed that all the147 loads were OK, about 10% of the 125s stuck and about 5% of the 115 stuck.

By Stuck, I mean the they required a little push to seat and didn't drop out, had to use a fingernail to extract. Around 1% stuck to where I had to push them in and then pry them out.

I put the fingernail batch in one bag, the 1% in another and shot them at the range. Out of about 50 rounds, I had to give the slide a tap on 3 or 4. All of the rounds that came out easily with assistance chambered, the 3 or 4 were the ones that were tighter. This is with a stock Shadow recoil spring.

Wouldn't want that in a match for sure, and a lighter spring would have made it worse.

Essentially, you want the loads to drop in, drop out, and headspace correctly.This can vary from one pistol to another thus the need for the test.

I would actually advise testing all match loads even thought the OAL is good as a bad crimp can really ruin your day.

Edited by tortuga

Right , that is exactly what i'm asking, Both answers are helpful . I'm new to the 9 ...... and i really do not want to have a bullet seat deeper than what i loaded it to, because of the pressure boogy man,

With the single struck Berry bullet with my oal of 1.150 i feel it should be ok, using the double struck Berry's , the bullet is longer, so more bullet is seated in the case at 1.150 . At that oal, i'm getting on thinner ice with pressure especially if the bullet seats deeper going into battery . So, that's why i tried the drop test and was surprised that they didn't seat deeper into the cz bbl .. Loading 45 in the 1911 the drop test is easy, if it fits lower or flush with the hood , your ok . Seems odd that the cz barrel really is not carved in stone for the test but i guess that is the way it is

oh, and thanks for the help

Edited by shortstop

Cz have a SHORT chamber!!!! If you do the push test for youe barrel, you will find what OAL you should use. Every time you change bullets ...124fmj, 124jhp, 115fmj,115jhp ect. you need to find what OAL to use for each. You will find that each bullet will take a diffrent OAL and no two guns are the same.

• You need to do the test about 10-15 times until you start getting the same number over and over. On several tries the rifling will grab the bullet and pull it back out of the case. When you start getting the same number over and over, that's the closest to the actual Maximum Chamber Length.

• Now subtract at least .015" from the MCL to get the Maximum OAL. if you use reloads that are touching the rifling, like someone said " pressure boogy man" will come see you.