Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M9 - Aftermarket barrel questions

Hammbone

I have a mostly stock M9. This thing needs help in the accuracy department and I'm toying with the idea of an aftermarket barrel. The two I'm aware of are KKM and Bar-Sto. Is one more preferred over the other? If so, why?

In addition, I looked into WAL's conical bushing mod (from the Beretta forums). I thought it was a bit pricy when I'd still be stuck with an otherwise stock barrel. If I were to get a threaded barrel from KKM or Bar-Sto, can I purchase the cone bushing and locking nut somewhere? Or, should I forget about the conical bushing and just be happy with the advancements offered by an aftermarket barrel?

Hammbone, you're best bet is to call Irv and ask. Barsto barrels are great, and will last a lifetime it seems, but I wouldn't pass on the KKM. When Irv was close before he moved to Sturgis, he did all the barrel work for my father and I. Now that I shoot Glocks, I think I will go with KKM drop in if I ever need another barrel. Irv can do many things but as with all smiths right now, I am sure they are very busy.

IMO, the stock Ber barrel is a good one at least the ones I have seen. Accuracy variance is probably due to the inherent design and variation in the barrel's position in the slide. Not sure dropping in an expensive barrel will buy much, locking the barrel down within the slide will help. The rear of the barrel locks into the frame, not the slide.

When the Army accurized the M9 for their AMU, I recall the had to install slide rails to keep the slide on line and also the front bushing to hold the barrel tight at the front.

Edited by bountyhunter