Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Henning Competition Mags with Megcar Bodies and OAL for an EAA Limited

Aggieddad02

OK everyone I previously posted a topic about my Limited experiencing FTF. Was running some bullets (40 S&W) with an OAL of 1.135 and the gun would not load from the LAMR command. I honestly don't remember what the bullet looked like in the chamber but I am heading to the range to attempt to duplicate the problem. Using the Search function and reading mostly old threads the consensus is to load long, however, on newer threads regarding these mags it appears that is not a solution. I did fire 50 rounds of PMC ammo through the gun yesterday with no problems and it was loaded to an OAL of 1.120.

Is this FTF the result of the OAL and the magazines in your personal experience? Just looking for a starting point to correct the problem. Thanks

Walter

Edited by Aggieddad02

So, failure to feed, not failure to fire, right? I'm probably not the guy who can help, because our setups are so different. I run a .40 loaded to 1.23" OAL in a Witness Match with 10mm magazines and in mine, jacketed rounds were feeding fine but lead bullets (semi wadcutter or truncated cone shape) were occasionally hanging up on the feed ramp. I used some 1000 grit automotive "wet or dry" sandpaper wrapped around a .357 magnum case to buff down most of the machining marks on the feedramp portion of the barrel and it solved the problem. I tried not to over do it and left some slight machining marks, but you might ruin a barrel that way, so be careful if you decide to do it. Probably be best if you wait and get some replies from the more experienced guys on this forum.

Like kneelingatlas, he posted while I was still typing. You might also consider different bullet shapes as well as adjusting the OAL.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post and offer assistance. I went to the range today and loaded all 5 mags with 20 rounds each and proceeded to fire. With one mag I ran all 20 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger and not one single FTF. Two things I am thinking, first before the match on Saturday this gun only had 100 rounds down the tube and second I am not sure why but the when I took the gun apart it was extemely dirty more so than I normally see on my guns when I strip them down. I am not sure why the gun was so dirty same powder I have been running for over 2 years with no issue but I do believe that may have been a contributing factor although the gun was cleaned prior to the match. The other thing is the gun may need more rounds down the tube to break it in. So the quest for perfection continues but I am more comfortable with the current status of the gun.