Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Splicing lead for casting?

67 LS1 Camaro

It is still really soft. I used to work for the phone company. They used lead for the outer sheath on their cables in the 'old days'. The scrap sheath was excellent for round balls and conicals, for use in muzzleloaders, but too soft by it's self, for casting bullets that will be used in modern pistols.

If you already own molds, you can tell a lot from the weight of the bullets. Compare the new lead to some bullets out of wheelweights. You might be able to sweeten it up with a pound of 95/5 tin/antimony solder.

It is still really soft. I used to work for the phone company. They used lead for the outer sheath on their cables in the 'old days'. The scrap sheath was excellent for round balls and conicals, for use in muzzleloaders, but too soft by it's self, for casting bullets that will be used in modern pistols.

any idea what the alloy content is? I tried researching on the web and I found some are alloys with copper.there is also a tire valve on that piece that I have.

If you make any bullets and send me one I can do a hardness test for you and we can have an idea of alloy content.

If you don't have the capability of making bullets yet, you send me a chunk about the size of a large bullet and I will try to test it for you.