Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I install a new extractor in my Para?

Fullauto_Shooter

My old extractor is dead; I bought a new one from Dawson but have no experience in fitting it to my pistol. When I put it in the extractor chamber, it just slides around where my old (but very reliable until recently) extractor "snaps" into place and stays there. I've heard about twisting and bending the extractor - can someone tell me, step by step, what I need to do to make it work?

Thanks

You will need to check the tension. You can make a home made gauge: Take a spent brass case and wrap dental floss tightly around the rim groove and tie it off. make a loop in the other end. You measure extractor tension by sliding the case under the extractor and forcing it back against the breech face (where it would be when firing). Then measure the force it takes to pull the case straight down and free of the extractor. You can use water added to a plastic container tied to the dental floss. One ounce water equals one ounce of weight. Keep adding water until the case will just slip free.

FWIW, my Para won't feed right with extractor tension set higher than 20 ounces. Also, with new extractors is it often necessary to set them twice. Once when new and then again after you shoot maybe a hundred rounds. They sometimes "take a set" and lose tension because the steel isn't springing back as much.