Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would you sell an IOR 1.5-8x to buy Vortex HD II 1-6x?

joelogic

I really like the IOR but all of the local matches are really short range and the 1.5 is a bit annoying. I am lucky to have 3 clubs close by that all hold multigun matches but most shots are 5-30 yards, with a long shot being 50 yards. I like to shoot limited with an Eotech but I want to be ready for a longer shot. The 4th club twice a year holds a match with 200-500 yard shots.

In the back of my mind I am also trying to gear up for Ironman, if I get a slot.

Current setup:

AR-15 .223 w/ IOR 1.5-8x

AR-10 .308 w/ DMS-1 1-4x

I am considering moving the IOR to the AR10 and buying the Vortex PST 1-4 for the AR-15 or Selling the IOR buying the HDII for the AR-15 and buying a 2.5-10x (~$500) for the AR10. Only problem with the 2nd choice is that other than Ironman I want the AR-10 for close in work. The bolt gun can handle the larger stuff. I just dont want to have to hump the bolt gun in trooper.

Thoughts?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/514609/valdada-ior-tactical-rifle-scope-35mm-tube-15-8x-26mm-illuminated-cqb-bdc-reticle-matte-with-high-picatinny-style-rings.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/314628/vortex-razor-hd-gen-ii-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-6x-24mm-illuminated-jm-1-bdc-reticle-stealth-shadow-black

I sold my IOR 1.5-8 and not regretted it. I went with a 1-4 then a 1-6 scope and have not looked back. The IOR is an awesome scope but it is extremely heavy in comparison. I would move it to the AR10 and get something closer to 1x on the low end.

I would do it in a heartbeat! The 1X and field of view on the Razor is great, having 6X for your longer shots (particularly in major matches) is going to pay off big. MD's are setting up stages with the fact in mind that many are running a 1-6 and longer, harder, shots are going to be more common. Not saying you can't make those shots with no magnification, or 4x, but 6x certainly helps.

I have been wanting a Swarovski 1-6 for a long time and could never find on in stock the same time I had the cash in my wallet

so I tried the Vortex 1-6 and then had the chance to compare it to the German Glass and i was amazed to find out it was neck and neck on Clarity and resolution. I have been a Professional Photographer for 30 years and I send most of my work day looking through top end glass. I was surprised to find out how much wider field of view the Vortex Has ( almost 6 feet at 20 yards ) This I found a nice improvement in getting on those close hoser targets. The Very fine Illuminated Red Dot is perfect for keeping your attention to the center and the reticle and is quick clutter free. I tested the Subtentions after I zeroed at 200 with my main match rifle,

a Lancer Systems w/ 18" Fluted Pacnor 1:8 barrel pushes the 69 grain Nosler CC pill at 2825 FPS with 23.4 H322

Yards Vortex Cal. Actual

200 Zero

300 7.5 7.9

400 23.5 23.8

500 50 49.6

600 92 87.7

I have yet to shoot a 3 Gun match with targets beyond 500 so to me its a perfect fit

I love this Glass and the Red Dot has great range in brightness from a Dark Shoot House to the brightest sunny day and can be easily locked to prevent accidental adjustments or left for quick adjustments. I paired mine up with a Warne R.A.M.P mount

and a set of Barry Dueks Offset BUIS ( although I probably wont use the Irons much any more with this ultra wide 1X view. )

I the End I feel this is the Best 3 Gun Scope I have seen to date. The only wish would be for addition of some wind dots

to help with a stage like LaRues Long range stage last April with 20 MPH cross winds and targets at 500 yards.

I had a Horus Black Hawk II 1.5 x 8 and a burris XTR 1.5 x 6 as well as the IOR 1.5 x 6 and I like the Razor the best by far.

I liked it so much I Bought one for my HMO Rifle too, and Gave one to my Son for Christmas for his Tac Ops Rifle as well.

Here is how they look mounted up.

_MG_1342_zpse7810b05.jpg

_MG_1343_zps2d5c0ddd.jpg

Here is the link to the Details.

http://www.vortexopt...zor-hd_jm-1.pdf

Edited by swandme