Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading 223 on Dillon 650

After you tumble your 223 brass to get the lube off or 45 brass to get it clean, I have noticed a "film" of dust on the brass from the walnut media. Is it safe to load the brass as is? Reason I ask is, Im curious to know if this "film" will gum up the DIES after awhile and start throwing settings off.

I have tried the whole drier sheet and paper towel method into the tumbler, but the dust is still on there.

Edited by Franco79

If you put a cap full of Mineral spirits in the media the dust will stick to a dryer sheet = Dryer sheet like you use in the clothes dryer. - I am cheep and I save the old ones . I put four in the large Dillon Tumbler and throw them away after each tumble. they also Collete the carbon.

I have never had a problem with "The Dust" in my dies . keep in mind you have to lube the 223 brass.

I will Cleon my dies after 10,000 and before 20,000 rounds

Hey George!

Do you have to let the tumbler run for a few minutes when you add the mineral spirits to get everything "wet", or just add it with the brass and let her rip?

For the post processing cleaning / Polishing step I always use Corn Cob media (drillspot is cheapest source) and the Mineral spirits / dryer sheet trick AlamoShooter mentioned. Works very well.

Hey George!

Do you have to let the tumbler run for a few minutes when you add the mineral spirits to get everything "wet", or just add it with the brass and let her rip?

For the post processing cleaning / Polishing step I always use Corn Cob media (drillspot is cheapest source) and the Mineral spirits / dryer sheet trick AlamoShooter mentioned. Works very well.

I like to run the media for 5 minutes or so after adding the additives to get it distributed before adding the brass. However I believe that is really not required just my preference.

I use the media from drillspot,and it works great.. I use about 2 caps of mineral spirits every 2 loads and lots of dryer sheets also.. To much spirits will result in a caked film around the bowl,and get the "low Oder mineral spirits "..