Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What weight buffer ?

TSDown1

New multi-gun shooter to the forum.

I recently bought a 5.56 -18" SS barrel with rifle length gas system and miculek comp. To replace my 16" barrel with carbine length gas system. Can I use the 3oz. buffer that it came with my rifles M4 stock and be safe or have to change the weight of the buffer and spring too?

2nd question, Does a rifle length gas system puts out more gas than a carbine or less or vice-versa?

Rifle is DPMS

Another question that I have to go along with this is- are the buffer tubes on a carbine and a rifle the same length? I know that the buffers themselves are different but the tube it rides in under the stock I'm not sure about. All info is greatly appreciated.

There are basically 2 different tube sizes. If its a fixed stock like a2 etc its gonna have a rifle tube and uses the longer rifle buffer. If its a short collabsible or carbine length tube then it uses a carbine buffer. The barrel length dosent dicated the buffer length the stock tube does. If your concerned what you have post a pic of it and we can let ya know

I think I get it. If the gun comes with a collapse able stock it has a carbine buffer tube. A2 has a rifle buffer tube. What happens if you shoot a rifle upper with a carbine buffer and tube?

I think I get it. If the gun comes with a collapse able stock it has a carbine buffer tube. A2 has a rifle buffer tube. What happens if you shoot a rifle upper with a carbine buffer and tube?

If you're talking about a rifle length BARRELED upper with a carbine buffer and tube, then the gun should function just fine. The length of the barrel really doesn't have any bearing on the length of the buffer tube and buffer. My son's AR has that exact combination and shoots just fine.

I suggest that you try the Spike's Tactical T -1 and the T- 2 buffers. I find these to be excellent with T-2 being heavier. There are a lot of factors that determine which one is better for you. And shooting style is certainly a major factor. I presently have a Wolff reduced power action spring with a T - 2 on my carbine ( Carbine length gas tube ). This combination along with a Seekins muzzle brake works like a charm. I made my choice after trying many combinations. It doesn't get much better than this. However if I had to do over I would probably go with the mid length gas system for they say that it is a fraction smoother. I am afraid that with the later reliability is sacrificed.

Pumagsd@yahoo.com

The gun will work fine The thing you need to match up is make user you have the correct buffer I'm the correct tube You can run a rifle buffer with a 16 inch barrel and a carmine on a 20 inch

Edited by EkuJustice

• 2 weeks later...

rifle length gas systems run better with heavier buffers. Assuming you are running a collapsible stock with a standard length carbine tube and carbine buffer, H2 should get you there. rifle length buffers weigh about 5.2oz. My most recent build consisted of an 18" barrel with rifle length gas system. Since I was running the heavier M16 carrier, I opted for the H2 buffer which is 4.6oz, to get it close to what it was designed to run with. H3 is about 5.6 oz. Lots of variables to cosider though, like the gas port size of the particular barrel your running, the power of load your shooting, whether your running a standard strength spring and like mentioned already, the weight of your Bolt and Carrier. Mine runs 100% so far. I typically design my reloads at around 75% of maximum, but have tried a variety of power levels. Too light of a buffer will still run reliably, but your bolt speed will by high and cause excess wear and eventually start damaging parts.

When I ordered my barrel, I emailed Criterion and asked them what setup they recommended as they "optimally designed the gas ports for reliability", they never emailed me back (before the craziness), or at least have not in over 2 months, so I opted for what I knew. So far it feels right, ejection is perfect.