Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Been shopping for a CZ 75

...shopping long enough that I feel comfortable I'm not asking total noob questions. And I've used the search feature. So here goes.

What's with the Shadow bushing and short reset trigger that cost more than the gun? I've built some precision rimfire guns, and I understand Kidd 2 stage trigger costing what it does every time I shoot the rifle. I have Volquartsen parts in my .22 pistols and a Geissele in my AR, I'm not opposed to spending money and I appreciate a crisp trigger. But a $350 bushing makes no sense to me from a machining perspective alone, and while my experience is limited, I don't remember their trigger being bad. I say this largely hoping to be talked into it, and being wowed. But the price certainly does sting.

Secondly, I like a decocker. My carry guns are Walter P99s, in the AS configuration and I love having a DA/SA w/decocker. This CZ75 will be for target and possibly competition. I see that the trigger I want isn't available in the decocker version. Is this trigger so good that a decocker should be a deal breaker? If it makes operating the gun that much better, I can live with a manual safety.

Another question about investment... Why does a CZ 75 Shadow cost less as a complete new in box firearm, than as a base gun, without even sights, grips, or a trigger? Wouldn't it be smarter to just buy the gun and add any work you wanted? Pricing is just confusing to me, and I want to be sure I'm not missing something. Because I often am.

Thanks, and I look forward to you guys helping me get over the CZ learning curve. :)

I've felt the difference between a stock trigger and one Angus Hobdell did. Its like comparing a factory new Ruger 22/45 Mk III trigger and a voltsquartsen. From my understanding, these aren't mass produced component kits. Its good ol fashion labor intensive gunsmith work. Hand fitted, filed, stoned, etc. $135 isn't alot for a trigger. I paid more than that for the last drop in kit I put in one of my Glocks.

As far as the accu bushing, $350 might seem like alot, but I can only imagine the machine work, and time spent to hand fit them. Again, something manufactured individually, and installed by hand. Angus probably has more experience with the CZ platform than the guy who originally invented it. I'm seeing a 50 yard group just over 2" on your existing gun for $350, seems like a good deal to me. You get what you pay for.

i have 2 decockers (the p01 only comes that way), and 2 models with safety. I prefer the safety. here's why:

1) i'm not a spaz, so i can manually decock safely and easily.

2) having a safety allows me to start cocked and locked in some pistol sports (steel challenge, idpa esp, etc...)

3) sear assembly is easier to work on.

4) the safety is in the perfect spot for my strong hand thumb to use it as a thumbrest.

Regarding your other questions, the prices are all about the amount of work involved, not the amount of awesomeness that results from it. At this most recent national championships, I believe angus was the only cz shooter that had the short-reset trigger. It was cool, but it didn't make him shoot better than matt mink. To me, it's more important to have a hammer/sear that breaks cleanly, with minimal camming.

If you are made of money, get the most expensive version of the gun you can find. You will be happy.

If you are not made of money, spend less, and you won't be at a significant competitive disadvantage as long as the trigger breaks cleanly.

IMHO, the accu-bushing is a complete waste of money for action pistol sports. Maybe for bullseye shooting it would be useful, but my gun is already considerably more accurate than i am.

The bushing isn't a drop in part from what I understand there is some serious smithing work involved if I'm not mistaken. Same for the shirt reset kit.

The decocker triggers can't be as good as a no decocker gun just because of all the parts involved. The decocker guns are also a major PITA to take a part and work on. I did my PCR man I don't want to do that again!!

As for the base gun bring cheaper part. Again it comes down to gun smithing and know how. In my opinion a shadow with all the parts on it still isn't at it's potential until one of the smiths works on it and tunes it up! I know if I sold one of my guns it wouldn't be cheap with all the work put in them!

Another question about investment... Why does a CZ 75 Shadow cost less as a complete new in box firearm, than as a base gun, without even sights, grips, or a trigger? Wouldn't it be smarter to just buy the gun and add any work you wanted? Pricing is just confusing to me, and I want to be sure I'm not missing something. Because I often am.

I didn't address this question earlier because I didn't really understand what you were trying to say. Still not sure I do, but fwiw, the frame on the shadow is slightly different (higher beavertail) and the slide on the shadow does not have the spot for the firing-pin-block. That allows you to make shorter lighter trigger feel, because you don't have to activate the firing-pin-block as part of the trigger pull. You could remove the fpb from a standard 75b, but then it wouldn't be legal for idpa or uspsa production class.

I just built up a 75b in .40, and by the time you do the trigger/hammer job, lighter springs, extended firing pin, and sights of your choice, it costs about the same as a shadow. I only did it that way because they don't make a 40 shadow. If I wanted a 9mm, I'd just start with the shadow.