Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two Thumbs Up for Giessele Automatics

mcracco

I built what is basically a Stag 3G; I assembled the lower but upper is a complete Stag 3GH. For a trigger I picked up a slightly used Geissele S3G. Problem is when the hammer was cocked manually it would catch somewhere before engaging the sear. Probably would have worked but it didn’t seem quite right.

I called Geissele and no one was in tech support so I left a voicemail. I promptly got a call back. How often does that happen? I explained the symptom to John and he say no, something is wrong and send the trigger in to his attention. A week later I have the trigger back with a hand written note saying they took a bit of material off the nose of the trigger for clearance. Included in the box was an extra trigger spring, lube, a hat (nice one), and a bunch of patches. Mind you all this is for a trigger I bought second hand and never did they question the age or source of the parts.

Trigger is back in lower and it works perfectly. I have not shot it yet but will soon.

BTW, there is lots of talk about bump firing with this trigger. Again, I have not fired it but with the black trigger spring I thought the trigger pull was way too light. I installed the heavier gold trigger spring and at least for dry firing I find it far more to my liking. I just find it curious that there is no mention of the heavier spring in the S3G manual nor have I ever heard anyone else mention it.

Regardless, next build will likely have a Geissele SSA.

I built what is basically a Stag 3G; I assembled the lower but upper is a complete Stag 3GH. For a trigger I picked up a slightly used Geissele S3G. Problem is when the hammer was cocked manually it would catch somewhere before engaging the sear. Probably would have worked but it didn’t seem quite right.

I called Geissele and no one was in tech support so I left a voicemail. I promptly got a call back. How often does that happen? I explained the symptom to John and he say no, something is wrong and send the trigger in to his attention. A week later I have the trigger back with a hand written note saying they took a bit of material off the nose of the trigger for clearance. Included in the box was an extra trigger spring, lube, a hat (nice one), and a bunch of patches. Mind you all this is for a trigger I bought second hand and never did they question the age or source of the parts.

Trigger is back in lower and it works perfectly. I have not shot it yet but will soon.

BTW, there is lots of talk about bump firing with this trigger. Again, I have not fired it but with the black trigger spring I thought the trigger pull was way too light. I installed the heavier gold trigger spring and at least for dry firing I find it far more to my liking. I just find it curious that there is no mention of the heavier spring in the S3G manual nor have I ever heard anyone else mention it.

Regardless, next build will likely have a Geissele SSA.

I only gave up on the 3G after having it bump fire with the Gold spring and after having sent it back. I love Geissele's triggers but not the 3G anymore. I am using the SSE now.

Pat

I have a SD 3G in my 5.56 AR. I have found that a lot of control has to do with how high up on the blade you put your finger. Finger at the top and you can fly out rounds, down low it's a much more controlled shot.

Edited by BlueRidgeReef

I have sent my trigger back once. Their customer service is great. As long as you understand that you have to use good trigger control with it there isn't anything that comes close. Fastest trigger out there, I wouldn't switch unless I absolutely had to.

i am very inexperienced with ar's and with the posts of folks having issues with the 3gun trigger (have one and am having one installed in a build) i thought it would be prudent to contact geissele directly. here is the response. you can take from it what you want...

Geissele stands behind any of its triggers as long as I am above ground. If you are having a problem please contact us and we will resolve it. Any short pull, short reset, light trigger is prone to bump firing or 'bump hammer follow" (which is where the hammer ends up down on an unfired round). There are a couple of reasons why this can happen with the 3G triggers. First, the pull weight is very close (within 1/2lb) from the cocked to uncocked pull. In other words, it's not like a stock trigger that has a 8lb pull and when the hammer drops a 1.5lb pull. This pull will force the trigger finger back against the trigger stop. With the 3G triggers the lack of pull weight differential is beneficial to fast shooting as the trigger is pushing back against the shooters finger with almost the same pull. But with a shooter that has uber trigger control where he is able to *just* put enough force into the trigger to drop the hammer his finger will 'float' is space and the slamming home of the bolt carrier will effectively pull the trigger again. The second is the extremely short reset distance of the 3G triggers. When a customer has a problem we increase the reset length (and pull length), add the heavier gold spring and usually the issue resolves itself. However, there are those shooters with such fine motor skills and refined pulling techniques where the 3G triggers will just not match up. This is where a 2 stage trigger shines. It has safety, reliability, forgiveness and performance in one package.

William H. Geissele

Edited by dr2e