Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squib!!!

rtr

Well I had a squib in my new open blaster, major nine, apparently no powder got into the round as I didn't feel a thing the hammer just fell, subsequent rounds would not feed as the bullet barely made it into the rifling (as witnessed by the marks on it when removed). Anyways obviously no more rounds were fired after the squib, I have not shot the gun since. The barrel looks fine inside and out, I placed a long allen wrench (all I had) in the barrel and tapped the bullet out with a hammer. I cannot get a hold of my gunsmith, so should I be concerned about the integrity of the barrel now or should I just shoot it? BTW I've seen the other threads and shreds answer to this question, just want some reassurance, thanks.

Just remember, when you hear "pfffft", stop!.

Thats the thing I don't remember hearing or feeling a thing. I do wear double ear pro though (although they are electronic), perhaps I was just expecting the regular thump of a round and thus didn't notices the pffft.

Do squibs sometimes go far enough that a new round can chamber?

Just remember, when you hear "pfffft", stop!.

Thats the thing I don't remember hearing or feeling a thing. I do wear double ear pro though (although they are electronic), perhaps I was just expecting the regular thump of a round and thus didn't notices the pffft.

Do squibs sometimes go far enough that a new round can chamber?

Yes, they can and do go far enough down the barrel to chamber and fire one behind it.

I swear I think I did once fire a second round through unknowingly and actually cleared the squib, and then kept rolling. The other shooters were split about what happened during all the confuision. I had an ugly jam, eventually got a new round in, got it to fire, and off I went. Later I found one of my cases, with a lot of soot, laying where I jammed. I really think I had the miracle double bullet shot with no gun explosion. Is it possible???

if the bullets were touching(no space in between, you just pushed out a 248g bullet instead of a 124. i think what blows them up(and i may be wrong) is the rear bullet compressing the air between itself and the front bullet. you would have obvious over pressure signs in the second fired case as it was pushing double the weight at the same velocity......my 2 cents

I've only had two squibs, one was a lswc 200 gr 45 that was protruding from the barrel far enough that I pulled it out with a pair of side cutters, the case had ejected and another rd feed into the chamber, heard the pop and the shot felt really strange so I stopped. The second one was a 115 jhp in a 38 super, the bullet was about 1/2 way down the barrel. The case did not eject and the bullet was knocked out with a cleaning rod and a hammer. Both cases were really dirty and sooty and nither one had expanded to seal the chamber. There was no damage to the gun in either case but the disaster factor could have been hi in both of these. IF IT GOES POP, YOU STOP!!!! Larry