Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 Case Feeder Upgrade

RPM means nothing in this case... TORQUE is what matters.

Understood... The motor has both more torque and RPM but I don't have the other motor specs handy.

I believe it also has 80 mW more draw as well.

The case feeder on my 650 is about the same 200 9mm cases is ok but 300 will stop the motor. I have adjusted the clutch on mine and it still does the same thing.How old are your case feed units. Mine is about 5 years old but has not been used that much. I had another 650 and a 550. I now have this 650 and a 1050.

My 650 case feeder is only 2 years old. I just bought two more 650's with case feeders so I'll be able to see right away whether this problem is systemic. What is odd is that as you can see, the replies to this thread are all over the place from people having the same or similar experiences to people having the ability to load their feeders to the brim.

Will be interesting to see what Dillons position will be on the matter on Monday.

i run my case feeder on low... am i using the wrong speed ? its a xl650... with case feeder.... i load for 9mm only

You are fine. I only run mine on low as well. Even at 100 rounds every 4-5 minutes you can't out run the feeder on low.

Keep in mind that adding too much more RPM than the design calls for will probably not allow enough time for cases to drop from the slots fast enough.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I guess I will find out soon. I know I can't out run the case feeder but I would like to be able to fill the hopper up to a larger capacity so as to not have to stop pullin the handle so often and slowing down production. I have an RF100 and a bullet feeder so I'm running pretty quickly.

• 4 weeks later...

Any chance you got this sorted out, my old 650 case feeder will handle over 1000 9mm cases and my new one will only handle a few hundred 45 acp cases, if i help the case feed plate along it gets going again but will stop when i have a high demand.... :angry2:

Are you using the High setting? If you're using Low that could be the problem.

No, I'm using the high setting and I tried tightening up the clutch but it still has a very low capacity (around 100 cases). Anything more than that and the motor just stops. I guess I have to call DIllon. Maybe I have a bad motor?

I had the same problem and Dillon sent out a new motor ASAP.....