Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Gun Conundrum

Cavediver29

I would really appreciate the feedback. I was wondering about the number of holes. There was an Akai shorty on the classifieds a while back that was built with a three hole schumann and a shoto comp. The ad said that it was set up for minor loads which confused me because I would not think there would be enough gas to run three holes and the comp.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, this topic gets tossed around a bunch, here's my 2 cents; IF you can afford it, get a 2011 based gun, go for broke, don't look back. I have friends/ fellow shooting partners that went all in and don't regret it. The guns are master pieces of technological art.

I had always wanted to get me one, but to buy the gun, mags, belt, holster and accessories was an investment that I was not willing to pay. I have a gun for every division in USPSA, none are custom. A couple years ago, I couldn't take it anymore, I had to get something with a dot, old eyes eventually get in the way. I purchased an Open Glock from another shooter.

Long story short, I am shooting Open Division- Minor P/F. If I do not part, the O.G. (Open Glock) has never let me down. An A-zone is worth 5 points whether it comes from a $4000 custom pistol or not.

If you can't afford the best, buy what you can afford and spend some of the savings on bullets and practice more.

Sure there is discussion, when people with 4000 dollar guns are getting beat with 1500 dollar guns the new folks notice and realize they dont have to get a loan to shoot uspsa.

BS example. If I had a nascar and one of the top race car drivers had a mustang, I'm sure he could still beat me.

Guys with $1500 guns might beat guys with $4000 guns BUT the important caveats that you are leaving out is that they would probably beat those same guys with any gun they picked up. Also, everybody throws their sled behind KC or Sevigney, or whoever the latest glock jockey is but they always fail to account for the fact that they shot 2011's before glock hired them, and in Dave's case, he went back to it as soon as he was off the payroll. His wife shot open at the Florida open - guess which platform he put her in???? That's right a 2011. They are better set up for some divisions.

I have been down the road of open glocks. They work, and they will have all the features of an open gun. Mag sticking out the bottom, a dot, and a comp. Does that make it viable, or a good option? Hell no. I WISH I had listened when those around me tried to talk me out of spending all that money on an open glock. I eventually sold it and went to a tangfo, then to a 2011, almost got swindled by a builder from Georgia that I also refused to listen to advise on, and eventually ended up with a great gun that has never missed a lick and a relationship with a great builder who has built me multiple other guns since then.

Don't try and buck the tides. There is a reason that they are the way they are. As is was said before, people much smarter than me and you, with way more time to practice, and people lining up to throw money at them did the R&D already. Trust them.

If you want a cheap open gun, buy a glock and put your grip tape in the wrong place. It puts you in open, but it ain't an open gun.

And no, you don't need a load to shoot Uspsa. I don't suggest using credit to buy toys. You do however need to spend 2500-6000 to get to a point in OPEN DIVISION where you cabe absolutely sure that the equipment isn't holding you back, because the people who are winning the titles have basically the same equipment as you.

Imagine the diffence in anything other than shooting being as little as 2500. If you could buy a moped, barely enough of a vehicle to legally be ont he road, and for only 2500 more you could afford the exact same racecar as the folks winning the Daytona 500. It really isn't that big of a deal.

Edited by Alphamikefoxtrot