Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hodgdon HS-6? Small pistol vs Small Rifle?

Maxximuss

I made a mistake... I think. I bought an 8 pound keg of Hodgdon HS-6 and have never tried it in the past. I have been using Acc #5 and been happy with it. How is HS-6? What is your feeling on this powder? I complete IDPA SSP and USPSA Production with a Glock 35.

Secondly, I use CCI small pistol primers in my .40 S&W. This was only logical considering it is a small pistol, strange how I came to that... But, recently I have heard of people using small rifle primer. What is the benefit and would it benefit me?

You could get by with HS6 for SSP or Production but I don't think its the ideal powder.

As for SRP in your gun, some peeps have encountered breech face erosion due to the primer not sealing when fired.

Other peeps have no issues.

You may have to try it in your gun and see.

I do stock both primers right now, I also load .223. I don't mind stocking both. It sounds like there is no real benefit and only draw-backs by using rifle primers. Thank you for the help. What do you think is an ideal powder and why? I have been reading Tite Group, Clays, or 231. My latest IDPA magazine stated these were the most popular for the Nationals Match.

I've never used Accurate Arms powder so I can't say if the powders I suggest are better than #5 or not.

I do know 231 and TG is better than HS6 from a cost stand point. You'll use more HS6 than 231 or TG to reach a target velocity.

Recoil for 231 and TG in minor power factor ammo is soft. Can't comment on HS6 since I've never tried it in minor power factor.

As for cleanliness, I think 231and TG are fairly dirty powders at low pressure loads. They do clean up just a smidge when loading hotter. HS6 is dirty at high velocity loadings. Not sure about low velocity loadings.

Straight Clays (Not international or universal) is fairly clean, soft recoil at minor power factor and cost effective.

The only issue I have with it is the metering of the powder at low charge weights. Not very consistent.