Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production 21.6

lef-t

Today, Walther opened up their own shop in the USA and changed their mag releases on the PPQ from the paddle to a button. While I know many US shooters will love the conventional mag release, I prefer the paddle (sounds kinda dirty :huh: )

The other big change that I'm excited about is a 5in model.

Assuming the new models are approved for production, would it be legal to put the 5in slide on the 4in paddle release frame?

Looking at Appendix D 21.6 I think it would be:

Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, extractors and ejectors MAY be replaced with OEM or aftermarket

parts.

Any other components which are externally visible
may ONLY be replaced with OEM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun
or another approved gun from the same manufacturer
except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OEM

parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers.

Special Notes/Clarifications:

• Barrels are considered “external parts” and are subject to specific restrictions in 21.4 and associated

rulings.

• A factory/OEM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used.

A magazine release which provides larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an

OEM part available on an approved model of gun.

• Externally-visible parts from “custom shop” guns
will only be considered “OEM parts” if the custom shop gun is on the NROI list of approved Production

guns.

Since the paddle-style model is approved, it seems that once the 5in model is approved it would be legal to merge the two, correct?

The new 5in PPQ M2:

2796091-l.png

The original 4in with paddle-style mag release:

2783355_1.jpg

I think your answer lies in 21.3

21.3 After-market slides and barrels – provided they are the same length, contour and caliber as original factory standard.

SLIDES: Current rules remain in effect – You may replace the slide with an OEM or aftermarket slide which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original slide for that model of gun.

BARRELS: Current rules remain in effect - you may replace the barrel with an OEM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun.

For purposes of this interpretation, a barrel within +/- 0.1” of OEM is “the same length”.

I think your answer lies in 21.3

21.3 After-market slides and barrels – provided they are the same length, contour and caliber as original factory standard.

SLIDES: Current rules remain in effect – You may replace the slide with an OEM or aftermarket slide which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original slide for that model of gun.

BARRELS: Current rules remain in effect - you may replace the barrel with an OEM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun.

For purposes of this interpretation, a barrel within +/- 0.1” of OEM is “the same length”.

Hmm. So do you believe that 21.3 would disallow swapping the slides if the 5in model isn't manufactured with the paddle release?

I think where I get caught up is the word "model" of gun. If "model" is referring to "PPQ" then the 5in slide and barrel would be an OEM offering for that "model" and I could swap the slides. If "model" is more specific to what length slide came with the specific variant of the PPQ originally then it would seem you could not.

Is the "model" based on the frame? in this instance the frames are the same aside from the mag release which is why I went to 21.6. I guess I saw the "model" difference in the slide length, but perhaps this is a misinterpretation.

The way I read it, you aren't swapping mag releases, you are swapping slides (and barrels.) If you could buy the 5 inch gun and put the paddle mag release on it, you would be good to go. Since you would be swapping slides and barrels, you can only go with a slide and barrel of the same length (even if they are legal on another gun.)

This has been discussed on numerous occaisions for Glocks, and more recently for a CZ SA.