Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any way to shorten an STI grip? Maybe bobtail it...

steviesterno

Hey all,

I've been looking to get the ultimate single stack 45 for carry, since I compete with 1911s and 2011s. Well, I "screwed up" and got a seriously amazing deal on an STI 4.15 in 45acp that's been milled by STI to match a commander set up, has 4 tuned dawson mags (126 and 3@140).

I'm wondering if there's a way to get a shorter grip (maybe like the VIP?) or to shorten/bobtail this grip myself. I would love to shave as much meat off the grip as I can, as I would love to CCW this beast without it poking me in the sides. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

I'd think the major issue would be the MSH. If you can get a plastic one from the VIP or Eclipse or mod the grip so it's the length you need for a shortened one from a 1911, then it's just a matter of a belt sander to shorten the grip and and a drill press to redrill the MSH pin hole.

Hello: I have a VIP and it carries just fine kinda like a Glock 19. The 126mm mags are longer than the 120mm VIP mags. So the mag would print more than the grip. I would phone STI and see what they get for the VIP grip. Just a note I don't like bobtailed guns :surprise: Thanks, Eric

Eric,

I am thinking about going the VIP grip route and getting a 120mm mag for lower profile carry. I just moved to Texas from PA. I used to be able to open carry, so printing didn't concern me at all. Here I have to pay more attention and keep covered, so I'm looking for a low profile option. Any good place to get a VIP grip or just call STI?