Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2.2.1.1 -- When Fault Lines Go Mobile...

Sin-ster

A lot of our local clubs use heavy ship/naval rope as fault lines, and being of the happy-feet type myself... I've never much liked it. That said, it's definitely easier for set up and teardown, and provides a pretty versatile solution to creating intricate, snaking, or otherwise interesting fault lines.

Just be sure that if you're running the same stuff at your clubs, lock the stuff down with brackets and spikes-- especially in areas where people are likely to run into it.

Long story short, I stepped over one on Sunday and in my effort to return to the shooting area, dragged the thing a good 8-10 inches with my foot before finally figuring out the situation!

Though a small shift of a fault line outward may or may not significantly change a stage from competitor to competitor, in this particular case... it was a 3-second tap dance and an obvious mental obstacle to overcome. Better to avoid than to require a Reshoot, as always!

That doesn't stretch the bounds it flat out violates the rule you mentioned.

2.2.1.1 Shooting Boxes and Fault Lines should be constructed of wooden boards or other suitable material, must be fixed firmly in

place

You might be wise to spray paint the entire length of the rope in case it gets moved. Easier to get back in the same place for the next shooter.

That doesn't stretch the bounds it flat out violates the rule you mentioned.

2.2.1.1 Shooting Boxes and Fault Lines should be constructed of wooden boards or other suitable material, must be fixed firmly in

place

You might be wise to spray paint the entire length of the rope in case it gets moved. Easier to get back in the same place for the next shooter.

No, no -- actually easier to get back in place for the mandatory reshoot....

That would be REF....

Troy was not only in the squad, but running the timer.

I got the reshoot. :D

The "must" was (obviously) the key word. I can imagine an inch or two of shift would have been debatable, but this thing was seriously on the move...