Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

exercises for trigger control ?

Rosshooting

Could somebody tell me some exercises for trigger control improvement? How to practice fast and smooth trigger pull in the same time? Could you give me some advices to correct it quickly because a level III event is coming soon. Thank you a lot! All the Best! ;)

I hate to break it to you but judging from the number of IPSC shooters I've seen, you don't learn these things overnight.

An advice given to me before was; "Practice your slow fire group shooting. Once you get decent and consistent with it, speed it up." ;)

Fast forward a couple of months, I noticed no significant change in my time (they're still as fast as ever :lol::lol::P ). But definitely getting more A's.

HTH. Good luck.

Trigger control use Dot Drill 101 - it's here somewhere, use search to find it.

Steve Anderson's dryfire book, trigger control PLUS. This book is awesome. He's in the dealer forum.

Remember speed isn't necessarily about going faster, it's about being more efficient. I saw more improvement by improving my vision than simply "pulling the trigger faster."

IE I improved draw times by

... improved index (less bobble, trying to find sights)

..knowing what I needed to see for a A hit on targets 3y-30y

..etc

Hope that helps. Good luck on the upcoming match!

As stated above, there is no quick fix for learning trigger control. It has to be completely subconcious. Sit in front of the TV and just pull the trigger, get the feel of the trigger. Aim at a blank spot on the wall and see what pulling the trigger does, watch the sights, they will tell you if there are any problems with your grip and trigger press.

Flex beat me to it. I learned using spare change balanced on my front sight (drill stolen from Massad Ayoob, I believe). I don't know if you're SA or DA/SA but you the only reason the coin should fall is because the vibration of the hammer strike vibrates it off. I can't tell you how many gazillion hours I spent learning trigger control with that drill.

Today I practiced on the range and I understood one thing. I think that the main problem about pulling the trigger to me is the reason that I pushing too hard about the speed of performance. Today I cooled down, I was relaxed but I was in focus about the basic things. I enjoyed the feeling of full relaxation (only the grip was tight) and in the mean time completely concentrated (about the target spot, sight picture, trigger pull, again target spot …). The result was smooth transitions, good tempo and nice close groups! I think I am becoming to hear the music! Thanks to all you guys about the splendid advices that you gave me in this forum! ;)