Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Budget Limited & ESP doublestack

smokshwn

I wanted to build a 5 inch bushing barreled limited gun in .40 that would also be IDPA ESP legal as well. Basically the same platform as the SVI crosscomp. I originally was going to be able to get one of the big smiths to build it with all the dreamy parts but I have run into budget constraints. I would still like to build the gun but I am looking for suggestions for completing a gun with budget parts in mind. I already have a frame, and front and rear sights (dawson FO and Bomar). Given that a competent smith will be doing the work which parts would you use to get very good serviceable quality while at the same time keeping costs at a bare minimum? I would like comments concerning Hammers, sears, discon, slides, barrel, bushings, IDPA legal magwells, ejectors, extractors, grip safeties, ambisafeties, firing pins, guiderods etc. etc. etc.

Thanx in advance, Craig

Having built several guns on a tight budget over the years, heres my opinion -

Given that you are going to build this frame into a gun, and that you already have a smith in mind, and just want advice on parts:

STI for all the major parts: slide, Hammer, Sear, recoil rod, reverse plug, grip safety, thumb safeties, etc.... for value for performance, its hard to beat the STI stuff - its priced pretty competively in Brownells, or at shootersconnection.com, etc.

If you are REALLY on a budget try the Chip McCormick (or BUL M-5) line of parts for all the internals and safeties. Good quality for the money.

For the extractor though, spring for the AFTEC, its worth the price in a .40.

Again, just my two cents.