Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Solvents and Lubricants

baron45

Hoppe's #9 just doesn't work as well for my needs--and I don't like the smell.

I'm the opposite, I'd wear #9 as perfume (and often do unintentionally after cleaning my gun). FP-10 for lube (in a pinch can also clean)

Just a warning for all you folks using Mobil 1 out there. Don't get it anywhere near your feed ramp or hood if you use moly-lube bullets. I was shooting one year at Area 4 in Texarkana and had borrowed some oil for my gun. It ran out quick from the bottle and I got some in the wrong places for sure. End result? I shot the elevator stage in 96 seconds after having to slam shut or break the gun open after every shot (I got CUT UP - ouch). Mobil is a detergent oil and it ate the moly-lube coating gumming up the chamber so badly that the next round would rarely go into battery. It didn't have anything to do with the cases either, they were all drop checked before the match.

FP10 and Slide Glide for general lube and "cleaning"

Brownell's Action Lube on high pressure parts (e.g. sears)

Rust protection?

I've used a lot of different lubes and solvents and cleaners over the past xx years (I'm not telling, but it's a lot). Since I've switched to Slide Glide and FP10 I haven't used any solvent on my pistol. The lubes never get to the point that the fouling is caked/dry/stuck to the metal. Cleaning the pistol means disassembly and wiping off the dirt. I re-apply lube and reassemble. Slide Glide is a little heavy for my taste so I thin it with FP10.

I'm strongly in favor of supporting companies/products that support our sport like FP10 and Brian E.

Cheers,

Kelly McCoy

A42081

M-pro 7 is the only cleaning solvent I use on any of my guns from pistols to my 338 lapua. As for lube slide glide is the lube of choice for me now.

Also mobil 1 is not a detergent motor oil, it's synthetic aka no detergent. That is why it lasts so long. Trust me I used to work for mobil I know. fwiw I don't use it for anything.

Just my 2c's worth

Rob :P