Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

money good, person baaaad

ErikW

Something occurred to me one day when I walked past an armored car delivery at a bank in an affluent California town. The lone guard/driver was loading up a hand cart with cash and coins. She had a nylon holster with what looked to me like a Smith 686. She didn't get a second glance from the soccer moms, workers, cops, or old maids nearby. (After all, she had a uniform.)

She has the blessings of the state to go armed to protect the currency. But if she were to carry a gun to protect herself on her day off, the state would consider that criminal behavior.

It occurred to me that I live among people who accept or endorse an indvidual who protects money, but who shun or punish someone who protects his or her own life.

Erik, another thing that's really ironic, "their money" isn't worth the paper it's printed on.   The Federal Reserve is not federal and their reserves are doubtful.  The Fed is a consortium of 12 privately owned banks that create money by writing an IOU to the U.S. Treasury.  The 12 banks are controlled by private shareholders, you would recognize the some of the names.  US dollars haven't been backed by gold since Nixon closed the gold window in 1973.  This completely violated the Bretton Woods Agreement that was reached in 1944 and appointed the US $ as the reserve currency for the world in the aftermath of WWII.  The bills we carry around in our pockets are Federal Reserve Notes.  Legal tender.   "Tender" means an offer to pay.  This stuff ain't money.  It is a "promise to pay" or debt.  And right now the US Bureau of Printing and Engraving is cranking them out at a faster pace than at anytime in history.  Heading for interesting times.......

Oh yeah, and IT IS "their money"  and they steal from you by printing more and more of it every day.   This way the money you earned last month is worth less. (eventually worthless)  So, the shareholders of the Fed confiscate the labor of the masses by paying them in worthless paper.   O.K.  this is the hate page, and phony money is one thing I do hate.  Hope you enjoyed my rant.

bonedaddy, don't get me started on fiat currency and the U.S. Fraudulent Reserve notes! :)

The history of money and currency in the U.S. is fascinating stuff. I was excited about digital cash but it's now even more likely to be quashed before it gets off the ground.

But anyway, sort of back to the topic, what people call money really has no instrinic value or worth. It's worth is dependent upon the faith people put in it as a currency of trade. Right now, there's so much faith in it, it's more valuable than human life to some people. Weeks from now, it can be as valuable as post-Versailles German marks or current Afghanis and you'll need a wheelbarrel full of greenbacks to buy a loaf of bread.

I didn't say it was likely. It would take a few more WTC type attacks, a more widespread biological attack, more large-scale counterfeiting, more fedgov bailouts and money printing (oops, I already mentioned counterfeiting), more crackdowns on taken-for-granted freedoms, among other things. Don't tell me hyperinflation "can't happen here."

Who was it that said "those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it"    

And Erik, you are right,  I really shouldn't get you started on fiat currency and I shouldn't have started on it either.  I know this isn't the proper forum.   If you ever want to let go with a really good rant on it, send me an e-mail.   In the book and movie thread I listed "The Soverign Individual" by James Dale Davidson.   Very enjoyable reading.