Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

stuck brass

hopalong

Sam wrote:

(Contrary to popular belief, Titegroup and Lead is DIRTY)

Sam - I put 700+ rounds of 4.1 grains TG under a Zero 158 grain RNL through my M67 in one day during a class, with only occasional brushing. The cylinder was almost black, but the empties never even thought about sticking. I only brushed it out to make sure the rounds went in without hanging up. Was yours a major-velocity load? If so, that might mean that TG doesn't like the high pressure stuff.

Sam;

I know that your post was a while back but I just came across it this evening.

I shoot about 200 loads yesterday afternoon working up a 165 PF load for my 646. It has had a lot of rounds through it and only once, prior to yesterday, did it offer any resistance on the extractor and that was after about 200 cast loads. It was just dirty.

I almost always shoot TiteGroup and with my normal load they just fall right out. With a 135 Rainier at 1260 fps they don't fall out but they extract easily enough.

It has been quite a few years since I had metallurgy but I don't think titanium expands much when hot. It is one of the most stable metals, that is why it is used in aircraft engine innards.

I have read of others having extraction problems with the 646 and other titanium cylinder revolvers. I think it is an indication that something is amiss with the cylinder of that particular gun.

I don't use nickel brass. I do use TiteGroup and lead bullets. But with the one exception I have NEVER had any problems with mine.

I don't know if it makes a difference but I use the EGW undersize sizer die, the Lee FCD crimp die and alway tumble my brass prior to reloading.

JNT

Revchuck,

the load in question was not a major load, makes 130 pf in the 610 have not checked the 646 for pf. when I was shooting 610 for every thing (USPSA and IDPA) I had Practice loads of 167 PF using 180 grn TC lead bullets on top of TG it was good load in Para and just kept using in 610 for practice too.

This load is like justintyme says, black cylinder at the end of a good shooting session and if you did not brush it out every now and then the moonclips would not go all the way back in, same kind of situation with 646 mostly but just every now and then they won't budge for a small instant when pushing on the ejector rod. (now that I have polished the cylinder holes)

Could be slightly streched brass causing contriction at the chamber end inside the cylinder as I don't normally trim pistol brass.

have been using Dillion resizing die for .40 S&W for 3 years now and have had no problems but am thinking of getting a Lee to see if that does any difference.

Spook, Sweet trigger? no more of that 8 pound stuff is it? Hope you get it worked out would like to see how you and MR. Miculek stack up with both of ya'll equipent running the way you want it. :)

SAM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I noticed a similar problem with my .38 super. I discovered it was from using brass once fired through an auto loader to be the problem. I bought new brass and cured the problem. I also gave the cylinder a quick (very light) hone with mag wheel polish "autosol" ..... worked a treat.