Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which offset red dot is clearest/sharpest?

michael1778

For those of you with cross product experiences, which offset mini red dots are considered to be the clearest image? Not the dot, but the entire field of view through the "glass", or whatever material it is. It's easy to read specification sheets and see relative window sizes, location of on/off switches, how they are adjusted for windage and elevation, where the battery is. and so forth. But, short of looking through a bunch of them at the same targets under the same lighting conditions, it is very difficult to know which might have better glass or coatings for a clearer image than other competing products.

I currently use a Burris Fastfire III but am concerned with the clarity. Today, I was noticing a stark clarity difference between my Vortex Viper PST 1-4x (on 1x) and the offset Fastfire III in a Warne RAMP mount. I think some of it can be explained by the diopter adjustment on the Vortex happening to be at a near perfect setting for my eye, yet I'm still surprised that the Burris seems significantly degraded even compared to an uncorrected naked eye view.

Should I be considering other makers of offset red dots like Vortex, C-more, Trijicon, Leupold, or even a tiny Aimpoint, etc? Or is the Fastfire a "middle of the road" option and I wouldn't be getting much or any improvement for my money elsewhere?

Thanks for the pointers. I use the 3MOA on my rifle and the 8 MOA version on my pistol. Dots look well centered and concise in each sight

I just put a FastFire III on a .45 auto and like it. I think comparing a 1X, reasonably inexpensive, dot to an optic like a rifle sight isn't a fain comparison. Usually the mini red dots are used at short range on a large target and a small amount of distortion isn't noticed or especially bothersome.

I agree that the comparison between different optics platforms can be uninformative. However,I thought I'd give the motivation for my question. At speed, I haven't noticed the distortion or blurriness.

I'm still hoping for some more experienced members to have some fact-based opinions/recommendations. We will see.

I shoot "Open" in 3gun and have tried a number of combinations of scopes and off-set red dots over the years. The Fastfires are good choices for the the second optic....I would say the Deltapoint is the best of the small red dots but the Fastfire 1,2,3 is a close second on a rifle. Glass is pretty clear for me....I am using a TA-11F for my primary (75 yards+) optic and I have no issues of the optical clarity of either Fastfire or ACOG.