Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to best develop a load?

BobS761

Please bear with me, still figuring it out. We are getting reloading down, settling on components we like, and trying different powder charges. Been a hiccup or two, but nothing unsafe.

What I'm wondering, what should we look for to determine when good is good enough? For instance, at 10 yards, a certain load was driving tacks, but at 25 shot way high. Could have been me, still really new to the whole thing. This time we were really just testing for function more than accuracy.

Here is our limiting factors. We want to run same load in 4 guns, 3 XDm's 4.5 and one XD Tactical, for economy of scale. We will be using home cast .401dia 175 grain bullets out of a Lee TL die. Shooting Production, so we want to make minor PF.

Possible? Or are my limiting factors too much to overcome? What is a realistic expectation to aim for?

Thanks.

B

Edited by BobS761

It is realistic for you to find one load that performs well in multiple pistols. In fact many of my shooting buddies and I shoot almost the exact same powder charge and OAL. We're shooting multiple brands of jacketed and plated bullets in every different type of pistol you can imagine. I shoot Precision Delta jacketed bullets so I don't have any good powder recommendations for you. Hopefully others here will.

Figure out what OAL will fit the chamber and magazine in all 4 pistols you are loading for. Start playing with charges until you find one that will make your desired velocity and meet your accuracy standards. For myself if I can get 2"-3" groups at 25 yards with my eyes I'm happy. What is good enough for me may not be good enough for others. That should be easy since they are similar. You may find the POI changes slightly from pistol to pistol. You may need to drift the sights to correct for windage. If your elevation is too far off you may need to change the front sight blade to correct. At close range sight adjustment may appear to be good when it's not. I learned this the hard way. My spot on shooting at 7 yards turned into 2" right and 3" high at 25. I went back and laid out a grid on some 7 yard targets and guess what, even though the holes were in the "bullseye" 80% of them were in the upper right quadrant of the grid. Once I corrected at 25 yards I still hit in the middle at 7.

Good luck with your new hobby.

My 2 cents.

Edited by XD525Shooter

Figure out what OAL will fit the chamber and magazine in all 4 pistols. play with charges until you find one that will make your desired velocity and meet your accuracy standards. You may find POI changes from pistol to pistol. Once I corrected at 25 yards I still hit in the middle at 7.

Sounds like good advice to me. I wouldn't worry about POI in load development -

when developing a load, you need to make sure it functions 100% and is as accurate

as you want it to be.

Try different powders and quantities of powder, and OAL - little shorter could be more

accurate.

Also look for recoil impulse, smoke, cleanliness etc as criteria for load development.

Then, set in your sights so bullets hit bullseye at 20 -25 yards.

:cheers: