Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newb to 3gun - AR optics or iron

roklock

Hello,

So I didn't drift on another thread I am starting this one...

OK, I have finally decided to give 3gun a try. I got an AR have coming that already has a Magpul MBUS installed on it.

My MAX budget for optics this year is $500 and according to another thread the Tac30/MTAC from Burris would definitely fit into my budget.

My questions is should I just shoot the irons this year and save another $500-$1000 over the next 12 months to give me a total of $1000-$1500? The "local" club that I will be shooting most has a Max range of about 300 yards.

Thanks,

Steve

I say just shoot get he Mtac/tac 30 and a burris PEPR mount. The Mbus sights really are ment for a backup sight only and really are not that good for what your looking for them for. For the range your shooting that is more than enough glass

Edited by EkuJustice

If you really want to learn to shoot irons (way cool) then go with irons... but good ones. Magpul sights are strictly backup. If you want to shoot tac optics then get the Mtac and get to it. You will learn way more than an extra $1000 glass will teach you. The Mtac is plenty good enough for starters for sure and many consider it just fine when they get more advanced. If you reload 223, just think of how much more practice ammo you can make for next year with that extra grand. The trigger time will serve you far better than the expensive glass will. Only worth 2 cents, but there it is.

Im of the same opinion, if you ultimately want to shoot optics, go ahead with the Tac30. Ive been running one for a couple years and think its unbeatable at its price point. I dont think the MTAC is worth an extra $100. I think you would be better served to put that into a better mount. Tac30 rocks for $300!

+1 to co-exprs

If you go irons, go *good* irons

If you go basic optics then the MTAC in the PEPR mount seems like a good way to go for under 300 yards. I have seen plenty of those types of set-ups at my regional matches. I prefer the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x (capped version) reticle, but that's just my eyes and preferences. For your budget, the MTAC in a PEPR mount should be very good and get you in the game for along time. Another buddy of mine that shoots Open with me (or against me, I suppose) uses the MTAC 1-4x as his primary optic, even in Open division.

Edited by michael1778