Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Okaaay...first try at loading my 930 JM fast!

shuter

Well, first of all, "fast" is a VERY relative term. Just got a couple boxes of Fiocchi dummy shells and gave her a whirl for the first time. Haven't purchased any loading "system" yet, so I just wanted to play with the 3 methods that I'm considering (after significant research on this site). I tried the load 2, quad load and loading 4 (one at a time) from a caddie...all weak-handed.

I simply took the gun off my shoulder, flipped it upside down and rested the butt in my armpit while I quickly reached down and grabbed 2 (or 4) shells. I'm trying to determine which method suits me best before spending a bunch of money on caddies, pinwheels, etc. Here are my initial thoughts:

I really like the "quad load", assuming I can alleviate the problem of the second two keeping me from inserting the first two. I think I'm not separating the two stacks as maybe I should be?

The "load 2" seems very fast and simple. I like it a lot and might prefer it, but don't want to give up on the "quad" just yet.

Trying what I gather is the more "traditional" method of loading 4, one at a time, from a caddie in which they're stacked, it seemed awkward and slower, even though it seems like it would be easier to do on the move?

Anyway, just wanted to post my first experience at this very important aspect of 3-Gun. Would welcome any thoughts you guys might have.

One thing I'll say is those dudes doing 3.5 second loads with 8 shells are my new heroes!

see ya

the forearm hump on the edge kills any of my fast load two attempts, the bladed side if my hand jams into it and takes the tension off the first shell which makes it do weird things like nose down. I try to keep the back of it down with extended fingers but my hand always catches that bump

Edited by dukduk

So you're saying to Dremel that 90 degree edge to more of a "slope"?

the forearm hump on the edge kills any of my fast load two attempts, the bladed side if my hand jams into it and takes the tension off the first shell which makes it do weird things like nose down. I try to keep the back of it down with extended fingers but my hand always catches that bump

I just switched from open to TO and am also trying to load a JM 930 fast. I just got done welding and extending the lifter and it makes all the difference in the world. C rums will do it for 55 bucks. Weak hand is the way to go (must be why 90% of the pros do it). I have just never seen a more consistent way to load. Practice practice and more practice. It's a long way from my coupled 12Rd saiga mags. Good luck and whatever way you choose practice and more practice. Cheers

Thanks. Jeff at C-Rums has already worked his magic on my lifter. HUGE difference, as you pointed out. I think that weak-hand loading 2 at a time is the way I'll end up going, using Carbon Arms' SSLP6 Pinwheel setup, most likely (trying to decide between the P4 and P6, but leaning toward the 6). You're right though...TONS of practice.

I just switched from open to TO and am also trying to load a JM 930 fast. I just got done welding and extending the lifter and it makes all the difference in the world. C rums will do it for 55 bucks. Weak hand is the way to go (must be why 90% of the pros do it). I have just never seen a more consistent way to load. Practice practice and more practice. It's a long way from my coupled 12Rd saiga mags. Good luck and whatever way you choose practice and more practice. Cheers

Rangerguy, if you were to peruse our customer list you would find over 50% of the "pros" on it.

I would not advise anyone to go with the Quad exclusively. Learning the Twins and the traditional weak hand will pay off sooner or later. I loaded quad twice thus year in a match, when it was a standing reload. I also loaded traditional weekhand a few times, but predominantly twins.

I think you need to be proficient at more than one technique. I prefer the "twins" and weak hand load. Im in the 5 sec range for 8 shells with the "twins" system off my otto vest. Weak hand is about 1.5 sec slower but im still working on it.

That's a great point. I can see where there might be times that traditional weak hand would come in handy. At this point, I think my primary will be twins loading, but I'll also practice weak hand.

I think you need to be proficient at more than one technique. I prefer the "twins" and weak hand load. Im in the 5 sec range for 8 shells with the "twins" system off my otto vest. Weak hand is about 1.5 sec slower but im still working on it.