Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB questions from new owner

I finally got my first progressive (Dillon SDB). I bought a used setup for .45ACP (my primary caliber). It came with toolheads & dies for .40S&W/10mm and 9mm also. So far I've only loaded a few hundred .45ACP and it is great! I will keep my single stage for rifle but wow this is really cool! As setup it loads my exact dimmension pet round 230 gr RN. I did adjust the powder a bit for my use. I am impressed with the consistent powder drops (W231) by the way.

My question is are there any peculiarities that I should be aware of on the SDB? How difficult is it to change between large and small primers and calibers etc. It doesn't seem too difficult from what I've read in the instructions but thought I'd ask you folks that have hands on experience.

I'm already looking at getting another for small primers (lazy I know). I saw a used SD and wondered if I should consider getting it and adding the "B" upgrade parts?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Bob

Bob, I love my two SDB's - had one of them for almost 20 years - sent it

back to Dillon to be refurbished for FREE after I left it in my garage for

13 years and it rusted. :surprise:

Switching from large to small primers ain't bad - depends on how often

you switch back and forth whether it's worth an extra machine - there's

no disadvantage to having two of them, except the initial expense and

the space on your reloading bench = go for it if you got the dough.

Only tip I have is to lube it once in a while, clean it once in a while and

use case lube ... You might want to get some spare parts for it (pins, etc)

but otherwise I've never invested in the B upgrades - seems great to me.

Anything goes wrong, and Dillon will have you up and running in a week.

:cheers:

I am using my SDB for both 9mm and 45 and frequently switch back and forth. I do have two full primer drop setups, one for small and one for large. This really speeds things up. I too have thought about getting a second one maybe set up for 357. With additional tool heads, switching goes very fast. For pistol I find it a lot nicer than my 550B. I think the SDB is highly under-rated by the reloading community. I keep looking on ebay for a used one but they get bid up very close to new prices, so getting a new one may be what I do.

I also have the complete primer set up so it takes 2 min to switch. A tool head for each caliber and changing dies is about 3 min. I also had different powder measures but, once I got a UniqueTek micrometer I only use one and just dial in what I want. You can be up and loading in less than 10 min for any change.