Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rooting Nook Simple Touch with version 1.2 software?

Tim/GA

I am trying to do the root from the instructions in the other thread but am running into a problem. I picked up the NSTs today with the good deal they had and now have 6 for our club.

I installed the update but it was 1.2. I followed the instructions but after removing the SD card and rebooting I am stuck on the ...starting up... screen.

Any ideas? Cannot shut down, cannot seem to go forward.

Thanks.

I was able to find version 1.1 online, is there a way to remove 1.2 and install 1.1 for rooting?

Just rooted the one that I was able to put 1.1 on and it worked fine. Worried about trying 1.2 again.

Thanks

Edited by Tim/GA

Ok, we finally got the NSTs back to the original version 1.0.1

We had to do the power button 6 times version of the reset explained in the rooting instructions in the other post. All other resets left the new 1.2 version installed.

We have the 1 set that I originally put 1.1 on and have updated the others to 1.1. Now on to rooting them! For those who don't know, there appears to be an issue with using the rooting instructions when you put version 1.2 on the NST.

I am trying to do the root from the instructions in the other thread but am running into a problem. I picked up the NSTs today with the good deal they had and now have 6 for our club.

I installed the update but it was 1.2. I followed the instructions but after removing the SD card and rebooting I am stuck on the ...starting up... screen.

Yep, welcome to my world, which I myself have only just recently entered. The 1.2.0 update does not work with the Chris Wren-documented rooting procedure; it hangs exactly where you described. I had to do the Method#2 power-on 6 times nonsense to hard-restore the firmware back to factory state, then had to look around for a backup copy of 1.1.0.

1.1.2 actually works (that's what my first NST is updated to), but 1.2.0 absolutely does not.

Also you may find in restoring back using Method#2 and then re-registering and copying over the 1.1 update; when he starts that process, he may hang in the firmware update (particularly scary) with a non-moving striped barber pole. NO amount of button pushing will get you out of that, but what WILL get his attention is to plug the device into the wall. The charging process in such an event generates what I want to call an "external interrupt" and then he goes on and applies the 1.1.0 update.

All part of the excitement of forcing dedicated e-readers to do things the vendor NEVER >>EVER<< intended!

(Wonder if you can make a drinking game out of this? Root a nook, slam a beer. Repeat as necessary.)

(I see you're in Darien, GA. What club are you doing this for?)

Edited by wgnoyes

All new to me, but got it done! Luckily my brother had the patience to get all 5 that I had updated to reset by #2. It does NOT work the same way each time, but he kept at it. I spent that whole time getting the 6th NST reset after totally botching the install the first time whenI missed the part about registering, don't ask me how I did that!

The directions worked just fine once I was able to get version 1.1.0 installed, thank you Chris.

I am Tim Currie, the pres./MD for CAPS in Brunswick. I met you last year at GA State, but had a death in the family this year and missed it. Saw your email on Fri. and headed to the store to get 6 for the club, thanks! I had hoped to do this early next year and wanted to go this route so it was good timing. All are loaded, time to play with the app!

Right, if you do the one on Barnes and Noble's site it will be 1.2

I cannot find the link used the other night! I have the file and if we have a way I can post it but maybe Bill has the link he used for the earlier version.

Here's a suggestion, by the way. Go into practiscore, select the sync tab at the bottom, and then tap on 'sync with other devices'. On THAT screen, change the device name from the default "android device" to something meaningful and unique. I've rooted 8 of these for south river gun club, and my naming convention is "SRGC_USPSA_01" (02, 03, etc). That way when I run around pulling new scores into the master device, I can be assured that I'm getting data from all the different devices and not just resyncing from the same "android device". My thinking is that since the nooks will stay at the stages, I'll hand out 01 to stage 1, 02 to stage 2, etc, so that for what it is worth, I'll know that I'm pulling in scores now from stage1, stage2, etc. Also get a label maker and create labels with those device names to stick on the respective nooks. Cherokee Gun Club does this; they overlay the "nook" logo over the border above the screen.

Thanks Bill, I was wondering how to rename them but had not had a chance to play around yet. We generally have the Palms stay with the squads but same idea.

SEPSA had changed over to iPods running the app and I have liked it but they found they need to put a battery pack on them to be sure they make it through a match and with my big fingers the devices just seem a bit small. I think these NSTs will be perfect, especially with the excellent screen in the sun. Hope to get a chance to work with them before the end of Dec. match but might not until Christmas. Our Palms are crapping out one by one, and that is with getting SEPSA's old ones.

That's why everyone needs to really think seriously about getting off the old last century 3rd and 4th generation-back garage-sale/ Ebay/ CrooksList palms for any sort of scoring, with screens so small as to make an iphone's look luxurious, and so scratched up by the damned little plastic sticks (styluses, which cramp up your hand) as to be almost unusable. The supply of those will dry up, whereas you can buy brand new NST's all day long at a very reasonable price, especially this time of year. Now, the NST's won't be around forever, either; I know that. B&N will eventually drop them for something else, and hopefully that can also be jabbed in the side with a fork to make it do what we want. But for now, the price and availability of new inventory makes them impossible to ignore.

If only you didn't have to do all this propeller-head crap to them!

Oh and as to the 1.2.0 problem, I'm guessing between the developer of the rooting kit reacting to accomodate it, and Chris Wren packaging it up, I'm guessing that won't be a hassle for too very long.

Edited by wgnoyes

Bill, when I go to the sync page on the NST I don't see a list of devices. I am having to type in the sync code of the device I want to pull from. Changing the name did not do change this.

Is this normal on the andriods? I know on the iPad the various iPods or other devices show up in a list.

Thanks

Ok, thanks. I also just realized that the number changes each time the wireless goes on and off. I am using a Verizon puck and I was wondering why I could not get a couple of the NSTs to go online, I had run out of devices I could have online. When one would go to sleep another could connect, I will have to keep that in mind if I sync during the match. No big deal afterwards.

I had thought about an old router I have around here, but it will be easier to just have the puck in my bag and stick it in my pocket and walk around to the squads if I am going to sync. Most of the time I am shooting and ROing in my squad, along with the normal things that come up in a match so I won't be doing much of the syncing until the end anyway.

Thanks again for the help.

• 3 weeks later...

having the same problem with a new nook I scored. Found a program to return the nook to version 1.0, then loaded the 1.1 update on to the root folder. Turned it on, it updated to 1.1 and rooting did commence.

Ok, we finally got the NSTs back to the original version 1.0.1

We had to do the power button 6 times version of the reset explained in the rooting instructions in the other post. All other resets left the new 1.2 version installed.

We have the 1 set that I originally put 1.1 on and have updated the others to 1.1. Now on to rooting them! For those who don't know, there appears to be an issue with using the rooting instructions when you put version 1.2 on the NST.

Edited by vluc

• 1 month later...