Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Neck Sizer Die .223

Background

I'm using a Neck Sizer die on stage 1 of a 550, it's really there just to make sure the neck isn't bent and to clear any walnut media out of the primer pocket. - Got this idea from Erik and really like it..

but... the RCBS die doesn't seem to have enough 'bell' on the die mouth, and the cartridge catches about 33-50% of the time going into the die.

Question

Any suggestions on a neck die (non-carbide) that will work more smoothly on a 550? (Lee, Redding, etc..)

Thanks...

Guest Larry Cazes

Dave for all of my precision rifle loading, I use redding dies. In my experience they are better quality and made to tighter tolerances then RCBS and LEE. They don't have the belled mouth, though, as Dillons do. I may have a spare .223 die if you want to try it out. Richmond Sunday?

Don't take this the wrong way, but why would you need a belled die for rifle? Unless you're loading straight wall cartridges, the die is "belled" by default. If your cases are so wobbly that they're missing the die opening, you should look at the spring clip and make sure the shellplate doesn't have any play. Unless your dies are damaged or defective, this is a problem spending money won't fix.

I tightened the shell plate, and adjusted the clip... but it's worth another look. Almost all of my loadfing has been for pistol cases, so maybe I'm missing something..

It just doesn't seem to take much to catch the case. I think the primer extractor is just hitting the rim..