Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 Neck Size Die

Chris

I have some primed 223 brass that I need to neck size before I can load it. I'm looking for a good neck size die, but not sure what to get.

I don't think I want or need bushing die. I was looking at the Redding Series A die, does anybody have any experience with this die? Can I remove the decapper rod? Do I need to lube the cases so I don't stick a case in it? Any other tips/tricks?

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Redding neck die is sold seperate, but the bushing is the way too go.

Use the nitride bushing and never lube again

They are expensive, but they are several tricks you can do. You can size several calibers by just

Buying the correct bushing, like 6x223,6.5x223, ect, ect just a suggestion. And I think you can remove the decamping pin???

It has been my experience that you can run into trouble if you use a necked size die to load a round not shot previously in a rifle. I have tried to put a round into a new 25-06 that was not shot in it and jammed that round and had to have a gunsmith remove it. Won't do that again, :blush:

I just bought a Hornady Neck size .223. I have a new FN XTP bolt rifle I am trying to get to shoot. (I do not call 2 to 4 inch groups shooting. :angry2: ) For the Bushmaster Varmiter I have, I use a RCBS small base die. I get my minute of angle groups with the Bushmaster.

I'm not sure what you mean by "remove the decapping pin" Some of my old Hornady dies had the expander and the decapping pin as a unit. The pin could not be separated. I have replaced those with a kit from Hornady

Remove the decapper/expander from your dies and try it. The expander is used to uniformly expand the necks that are left undersized by the sizing die. Brass cases aren't terribly uniform, and the expander simply opend the neck a bit from the inside. I know guys who swap their decapper/expanders from die sets of smaller calibers just to avoid overworking the case necks. The neck expander is what actually causes the most case "stretch" in rifles.