Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou 180s with clays

hab25

Sorry, I have only shot the 180 grain Bayou Bullets with 3.5 grains of Clays at a 1.23" OAL and while I haven't chronoed them, I'm certain they won't make major power factor. They do shoot real soft though and are much cleaner than the cast bullets I used just previously which had Thompson Blue Angel lube in the lube groove, plus the Bayous were only a penny a bullet more.

I don't have time this week to sneak up on major pf, but will try to check this for you the following week, if no one has beat me to it by then..

Sorry, I have only shot the 180 grain Bayou Bullets with 3.5 grains of Clays at a 1.23" OAL and while I haven't chronoed them, I'm certain they won't make major power factor. They do shoot real soft though and are much cleaner than the cast bullets I used just previously which had Thompson Blue Angel lube in the lube groove, plus the Bayous were only a penny a bullet more.

I don't have time this week to sneak up on major pf, but will try to check this for you the following week, if no one has beat me to it by then..

Thank you for your help I look forward to the results.

Florida NFA trusts

• 3 weeks later...

hab25,

The 180 grain Bayou Bullets worked great with Clays at 175 power factor. No more of the coating seemed to be left in the barrel than when they are loaded to minor pf. This residue cleans up easily- much easier than the streaks of lead and tin that I get with uncoated cast bullets. I also didn't get the smoke that I get when using the uncoated cast bullets. However, the Federal small pistol primers got pretty flat at 175 pf with Clays (at 30 degrees), too flat for me personally to use as a regular load. Clays for minor pf though seems perfect.

I don't normally use Federal primers because they take up so much more space than anything else. But I like them for working up a new load, because they show pressure signs earlier than any others that I've tried. Hope this helps.

hab25,

The 180 grain Bayou Bullets worked great with Clays at 175 power factor. No more of the coating seemed to be left in the barrel than when they are loaded to minor pf. This residue cleans up easily- much easier than the streaks of lead and tin that I get with uncoated cast bullets. I also didn't get the smoke that I get when using the uncoated cast bullets. However, the Federal small pistol primers got pretty flat at 175 pf with Clays (at 30 degrees), too flat for me personally to use as a regular load. Clays for minor pf though seems perfect.

I don't normally use Federal primers because they take up so much more space than anything else. But I like them for working up a new load, because they show pressure signs earlier than any others that I've tried. Hope this helps.

How many grains were you loading for 175 PF?