Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 Pirates of Texas Carbine Championship

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We sent out sponsor requests to a large number of vendors and we hope that despite the depressed economy, many of them will be able to support the match. Some have already indicated their support so yes, we will have a prize table. It won't be anything like what you see at the big matches but we hope to have some good stuff. Most importantly, we want to put on a great match so folks will want to come back every year to shoot it.

• 2 weeks later...

ATTENTION 2-Gunners

For anyone who plans to shoot 2 or more rifles, we are requesting that you try and make arrangements to shoot one of them on Saturday, February 9th, if at all possible and especially if you live locally. Since we are limiting the number of shooters, i.e., the number of guns, on Sunday, this will help us immensely.

Please contact us as soon as you can to let us know if you will or will not be able to do this and thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

NEWS FLASH: We are adding two new Divisions for the 2013 Pirates of Texas Carbine Championship on February 10th. They are Rimfire Limited and Rimfire Tactical. We are doing this to reduce the burden of ammo costs on our shooters caused by skyrocketing ammo prices and limited availability of centerfire ammo. For more info, click on over to our match website at piratesoftexasmatch.com.

• 3 weeks later...

For any of you who are considering shooting the Pirates of Texas Carbine Championship match on February 10th, be advised that as of today we only have 30 slots remaining. Once we hit our max number of guns on Sunday, we will have to stop taking applications so if you're interested, the sooner you get your application in the better.

• 2 weeks later...

LAST MINUTE UPDATE

Thanks to some very generous and understanding local shooters who were willing to switch from Sunday to Saturday (and a stupid error of mine in an Excel formula), we now have 9 more slots available on Sunday.

So, if you are interested in joining us on Sunday, February 10th to shoot the 2013 Pirates of Texas Carbine Championship, please call me at the number below. I will fill out an application for you over the phone that you can sign on match day.

kb-phone-nbr.png

This will be first come, first served but your spot will not be locked in until we receive your match fee so please be SURE you want to shoot the match as we are beyond the deadline for refunds. If you are sure you want to join us, get your check to us at the address below so that it reaches us no later than Tuesday, February 5th which is one week from today.

tc-mailing-addresss.png

Thanks in advance..

Just a reminder of what the schedule will be for Saturday and Sunday..

SATURDAY

0930: Distribute shirts, packets, and sign-up for match customers

1000: Shooter's Meeting in the pavilion behind the Starry public bays

SUNDAY

0700: Registration begins for match customers

0800: Shooters meeting in the pavilion behind the Starry public bays

0830: Match begins

Kurt Miller did take a tumble from the plank, however the gun did not discharge, and while the muzzel did pass the 180 it stayed right down at ground level, Kurt made a valliat effort to contorl it but hit the ground with a thud, just gald he wasn't hurt and no one else. Krut being the great sportsman that he is stayed the rmainder of the day and helped his squad tape and reset.

Kurt and I enjoyed a free beer after the match. By the way the match was well run, the RO's and thank you guys again did a heck of a job! At first I thought that 7 stages was a bit shy, but at the end of the day, it turned out to be just righ, lots of shooting. A 36 round statge is a lot more fun than a 18 rounder, one guy on our squad turned a 32 in to a 55 rounder in 18 seconds.

I had a great time shooting the match, I told a friend on the way home, you don't pick you rifle up for a year, go to a major match and expect to kick butt, no didn't happen got it handed to me.

Those little Pigmy targets can run your add time up.

Edited by CocoBolo

Kurt Miller did take a tumble from the plank, however the gun did not discharge, and while the muzzel did pass the 180 it stayed right down at ground level, Kurt made a valliat effort to contorl it but hit the ground with a thud, just gald he wasn't hurt and no one else. Krut being the great sportsman that he is stayed the rmainder of the day and helped his squad tape and reset.

Kurt and I enjoyed a free beer after the match. By the way the match was well run, the RO's and thank you guys again did a heck of a job! At first I thought that 7 stages was a bit shy, but at the end of the day, it turned out to be just righ, lots of shooting. A 36 round statge is a lot more fun than a 18 rounder, one guy on our squad turned a 32 in to a 55 rounder in 18 seconds.

I had a great time shooting the match, I told a friend on the way home, you don't pick you rifle up for a year, go to a major match and expect to kick butt, no didn't happen got it handed to me.

Those little Pigmy targets can run your add time up.

Sorry to hear about Kurt, but the match sounds like a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it last year and hated to miss this one - does anyone have a list of results? Less than 6 months to go before I can burn some powder with you guys again!!

I had a blast at this match. Got out my AK and shot it on Sat with a couple of the Oklahoma guys. The big dot irons and only having 15 minutes of practice the night before really hurt my scores but I really like shooting that old thing! Should have tossed on the bayonet!!! Really appreciate the match folks letting us shoot the day before. 2 guns in 1 day is too much for me! Sunday I had my normal gun out and felt like a new man. Plus I never forgot a target or double hit a target on the memory stages.

Highlights:

• Match ran very smooth.
  • RO's were nice and very helpful.
  • ROTC kids did a great job helping out!
  • "Most" of the stages were fun...most because on the long range stage for some reason 150 yards seemed like 300 yards...just like last year!
  • Subway lunch was great
  • Bottled water at every stage!
  • Squadding seemed to cut down the waits. We waited at one stage for around 5 shooters to finish and 2-3 on a couple other stages.
  • I like a few memory stages as we don't see them where I normally shoot.
  • Great competitors.
  • The little 1/3 splatter targets were really fun to shoot. Hard to get good hits but fun!
  • Got to walk the plank!
  • Moving target was a nice addition this year. Can't wait to see what new props they have for next year.
  • T-shirt was included
  • Random draw prize table had a few XS certs, reloading book, really nice rifle bag, around 10 Brownell's 30 round AR mags, 10 boxes of targets, a couple other smaller things I don't remember.

Constructive Criticism:

• Several shooters weren't aware of the 30 round mag cap in all divisions except open and some RO's didn't notice.
  • The bathrooms at the clubhouse are a shithole. Toilet barely flushed and no running water in the men's room for hand washing. Obviously not the fault of the match directors so I definitely don't hold that against them. I'd recommend bringing in a hand washing station and moving 1 of the port o potties from the lower level up near the parking lot.

All in all, this is a great match especially factoring in the cost is only $80 and includes lunch, t-shirt, and a nice little prize table.

Ben

Thanks for the positive comments from the above posters and we sure felt bad for Kurt but no surprise, he was a gentleman in every way..definitely a class act.

Ben: Thanks for the detailed passdown. Unfortunately it seems that quite a few people never went to the website's FAQ page where they would have learned about TNH's, TNE's, and mag limitations. The SO's who missed the larger mags obviously should have caught it but we had a number of fairly new staff working and they will certainly know next year. As for the heads, all I can say is that's all we have aside from the Porta Potties. Both my wife and Maytag's wife cleaned those heads the day before and believe me, they looked 1000 times better. Nonetheless, we'll take the hand washing station under advisement.

Thanks again to all who chose to shoot our little match. We worked extremely hard to make it as good as we possibly could and in our opinion, it was our best effort so far.

Nightmare it was my Third time there spread them out over the years and I have to say the stages were the best yet. The ROs were good, my squad preference of anybody worked out better than if I had picked one, the guys and gal on squad 3 were all very nice and more importanly they were a hard working bunch, tapeing and setting skills were the best, I had several mikes tapeing the pigmy target those things are hard to hit. I learned a few things shooting with them, I think we all had a good time and couple of them got Wood at the end, you know a plaque. The force field protecting the long range targets wasn't working consistently, those Alien's need to work on their quality. The alien's were my stage guides on the memory stages, just shoot from the green alien head down to the chicken feet from window one then go to windown two, I didn't forget anything.

Maybe next year a couple of good old fashioned sweatboxes down in the middle, you know they callem skid cans, portolets etc, just rub you hands well in the sand after.

I heard somone talking about noseeums, I didn't see any.

Edited by CocoBolo