Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Star Luber sizer

Ray_Z

I haven't used my luber sizer in a long time. I drug it out this evening and I've lost some parts. I need the three parts that are needed to change the dies. Is this something I'm going to have to go to Magma for?

I also notice that instead of specific top punches for the different bullet shapes within a caliber, bullets are now put through the size die base up. Are the top punches caliber specific? Or is it a one size fits all thing?

What else have I missed in the time I was using only jacketed bullets?

Top punches are caliber specific. Otherwise you will get a thin ribbon of lead around the base.

I don't use any special tools to remove the die. I turn on my base heater. Then I just loosen the screw on the side, remove the top punch and the nut on top of the die. Then a few taps to the bottom of the die with a nylon punch to loosen up the grip of the lube and the die pushes right out.

I didn't know there were tools to remove the die! Like the poster above, I just loosen or remove parts and tap the die out.

As for the "base up" orientation - I thought I was the only one doing this. A few years ago, I was casting two different 45 200SWC bullets. They had different nose profiles but the lube grooves were the same distance from their respective bases. To avoid adjusting the punch each time I switched, I set the punch to the "base to groove" distance and was able to size/lube both bullets without futzing with it.

Mark

Depending on how tight your sizing dies are you may need the die extractor. I use mine everytime because it is easier as I have some tight dies. I know some use a socket or something simillar to push it up from the bottom.

As far as the punches, depending on how much you are sizing the bullet down, you may be able to get by with a punch that is not close to bullet diameter. If you are sizing down, the force to push the bullet through increases and then you will get the smaller diameter indenting into the back of the bullet. Since I seat gaschecks on lots of my bullets I have punches that are close to the bullet size because I need to have the check seated fully around the edges of the bullet.

I originally drove up to Magma here in AZ to get my first few sizing dies but now I have been getting them from a guy in MO who makes them along with punches. His stuff is top notch and he is great to work with. You can see his vendor thread on the cast boolits forum:

Lathesmith vendor thread

If you decide you want a Die extractor I believe I have a brand new one I got from Magma before I got my used Star and found one came with it. If you are interested PM me.

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

I use some lathesmith dies and top punches too. The guy makes good stuff.

Like redial said, a lot of bullets are made with the lube groove in the same location from the base. I have a few bullet molds in 45 that I don't have to make any changes to the top punch set-up.

Depending on how tight your sizing dies are you may need the die extractor. I use mine everytime because it is easier as I have some tight dies. I know some use a socket or something simillar to push it up from the bottom.

As far as the punches, depending on how much you are sizing the bullet down, you may be able to get by with a punch that is not close to bullet diameter. If you are sizing down, the force to push the bullet through increases and then you will get the smaller diameter indenting into the back of the bullet. Since I seat gaschecks on lots of my bullets I have punches that are close to the bullet size because I need to have the check seated fully around the edges of the bullet.

I originally drove up to Magma here in AZ to get my first few sizing dies but now I have been getting them from a guy in MO who makes them along with punches. His stuff is top notch and he is great to work with. You can see his vendor thread on the cast boolits forum:

Thanks for the heads up. I have sent him a PMed

Lathesmith vendor thread

If you decide you want a Die extractor I believe I have a brand new one I got from Magma before I got my used Star and found one came with it. If you are interested PM me.

Neal in AZ

• 1 month later...

Another recommendation for Chris (Lathesmith) He makes great dies & top punches. Got dies from him a couple years back with top punches & locknuts. If you want a custom diameter Star size die he'll take care of you. Set the top punch with the locknut, install the die & start sizing. Like everyone else, I heat up the sizer then push or tap up gently with a wood dowel. OT, but I had a thread there about hooking up some air to the Star sizer too.