Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you clean AET barrel?

Looking over the stuff at the Schuemann website. The AET has (at least mine has) a ceramic coating. To preserve this coating, are you guys doing anything non-standard?

Or is it OK to clean it like a normal pistol barrel (i.e. w/ solvents and a brass brush)?

Mr. Schuemann claims to not clean the bore on his guns:

My Personal Practice has become to never clean the bore of my barrels. I do use a brass rod to scrape the deposits out of the chamber. But, I've learned to leave the bore alone and it very slowly becomes shinier and cleaner all by itself. Years ago I occasionally scrubbed the bore with a brass bore brush. But, doing so always seemed to cause the bore to revert to a dirtier look with more shooting, so I eventually stopped ever putting anything down the bore except bullets...

????

It might be a good idea to follow his suggestions. Once in a while you could inspect the bore and look for copper deposits and carbon build up. You could patch it with some butches or sweets then patch out again with some good ole hoppe's.

Wil is a very bright induvidual. I used to fly Gliders/Sailplanes avidly, and one of the more well known names in glider design and airfoil aerodynamics is the same Wil Schuemann. Got married, had kids and the wife, whoes sandles used to get caught in the rudder pedals during preflights (she was often a barefoot passenger) guilted me into staying on the ground, enter IPSC/IDPA. Do what Wil says, not only for your AET but for all your pistol barrels. Clean ther chamber only. Watch how shiny the inside of your barrel will become.

Talking to Wil when I ordered mine he used to work for a rocket laboratory. Happens to be the same place several members of my family work for. The people that work there have to be precise, so I imagine he tests more than anyone what works and what doesn't.

The only thing I'll do other then scrape lead from the chamber is take a super long Brownell's swab with one 1" patch dry - and put through the chamber out the muzzle. there is little or no cirumference pressure here - it just removes big chunks of debri only but not nearly enough side pressure to scratch or embedd anything. And though you'll think I'm crazy - If I'm shelving a gun for little while, I swipe one dry patch with a swap (there at least 1/8" gap on all sides of the swab head), the swab in some Slide Glide Lite, then before shooting that gun again - one dry patch with a swab to remove excess. Thats it, but its not necassary - if you want to stay by Wil's book - just clean the chamber.

Thanks,

Jon