Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going for a JP Rifles PSC-12 (.308 win)

3-Gun Sweden

I am about to order and specify a JP Rifles PSC-12 in .308 win before monday.

Primary use will be IPSC Rifle.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.1_PSC_12.php

Anyone got recommendations for this rifle, do's or don'ts?

Thanks for any input.

Build Summary

Review your design. If you wish to make any changes please press the back button at the bottom of the page to track back to that step in the design process.

PSC-12™ Rifle Base Price: $3499

Upper Receiver: PSC-12 Upper Receiver

Machined 7075-T6 billet aluminum dual charge upper receiver $0

Lower Receiver: Modified LRP-07 Lower Receiver

Machined 7075-T6 billet aluminum lower receiver modified to function with PSC-12 $0

Receiver Finish: Tan DuraCoat® receiver set and hand guard

Magpul Dark Earth (Tan) custom color DuraCoat® upper and lower receiver and hand guard $300

Caliber: Caliber: .308 WIN $0

Barrel: 18" .308 JP Supermatch™ cryogenically treated stainless steel barrel

18" length ● 1:10 twist ● light contour $0

Barrel/Comp Finish: Black Teflon®

Black Teflon® on barrel and muzzle treatment to give matte black finish. $50

Muzzle Treatment: JPRE-324

JP Recoil Eliminator for AR-10-type rifles .750 OD Black Oxide Carbon Steel .308 exit hole $0

Comp Attachment method: Blended attachment

The muzzle treatment attached to the barrel via thread and timed for seamless transition. No welding or pinning is used. $0

Hand Guard: JPHG-6D

JP Modular Hand Guard, Extra Length (15.5” OAL). Requires minimized gas block. $25

Gas System: JPGS-5B

JP Adjustable Gas System Low profile .750" bore Black Stainless $0

Buttstock: ACE-ARFX stock, black

ACE-ARFX stock, black $0

Operating System: JPBC-4

JP .308 Low Mass Stainless Carrier with key installed $0

Operating Spring: JPSCS-AR10

AR-10 Silent Captured Spring $100

Trigger Weight: 3.5-pound JP reliability enhanced competition trigger

3.5-pound JP reliability enhanced competition trigger $0

Grip: Magpul MIAD, Dark Earth

Magpul MIAD grip system, Dark Earth $15

I'm experiencing a bit of buyer's remorse going with the 18" light contour 308 instead of the 20" medium contour. I have a small feeling that the extra length and weight out front would have helped more with muzzle climb. Also the 20" is rifle length gas vs. the 18" which is mid length gas. Could help to soften the recoil impulse just a bit more. Of course you are going with a longer handguard and the recoil eliminator, so that might be a better 18" setup than mine which has the 12.5" handguard and the smaller tactical compensator.

I have been very surprised at the success of a shooter in our monthly match here in NC. The guy has a LRP-07 rifle with a 14.5" barrel and a comp pinned. It's freakishly flat. Clearly the man has skills, but his rifle is "hooked up" too. I talked to him briefly about it. He agreed that the LRP shoots flat with an unusually short barrel for a 308. The thinking is that the comp has lots of gas with which to work and that helps it. Still plenty of into-the-shoulder recoil, but it's flat man.......like a table top.

So, I don't really know what to expect from some .308 configurations.

But, is .308 really needed for the intended use of the OP?

I run the LRP07 with 18" light profile barrel. Admittedly, with the Cooley tactical comp (small one), the muzzle moves more than I like. The rifle handles differently with different comps and there are a few decent options to help tame down that 308. Different loads have a noticable effect on how the rifle hands as well. I'm working on a short course load now, which will make the rifle handle more like a 223, meet major PF and still be accurate enough to hit well out to 400yds. Make sure you get JP's 308 chamber gage. If your ammo doesn't go through that gage it won't go through the gun.