Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which holster is better to use

jedmyers

by CR Speed, are you referring to the WSM race holster?

A full blown race holster will always be a faster draw, and most shooters who shoot limited shoot with an open holster. I shoot a G17 open out of a Manny Bragg and use the same exact set up for my Limited G35, for example.

Faster? No. But you can make GM out of a Blade Tech and never worry about any of the holster nonsense.

Honestly, they're fun to have and look cool, but for the game we play, its a waste. There are so few occasions where that 1/10 of a second is critical.

Well I understand, I'm just considering the upgrade if it would be worth it.

If its possible, borrow one from a buddy or something and see if its for you before you make a full on switch. On the question of "is it worth it?", the honest answer is that it really depends on the shooter.

I agree with Seth! Concern yourself with others aspects of game! What you don't need is a gun dropping out of a race holster, like my friend did after his run on a stage at this years Limited Nationals. Luckily, the RO saw in his face that he didnt know he dropped it and didnt DQ him.

I shoot a DOH for Limited and really there isnt very much time difference between the two holsters when drawing.

Buy BULLETS!!!!!!!!

thanks

Edited by kimberacp

I did a test the orher day that surprised me. I was practicing my draws with my SS gun out of a blade tech holster then for giggles I did some out of a old leather pancake the break holster. I was shocked when the timer showed only a .15 difference in draw time. I think with some practice with the thumb break the difference would have been even less. So for uspsa I don't think hostets make much difference at all.

Mike

in matter in fact, at the Nationals there was not one stage that you drew your gun from a stand still position. Either the gun was on the a table or there was at least one step during the draw...

thanks

no I take that back, yes, one small stage.)

Edited by kimberacp

I think you still have to pull up a little with the Safariland Competition Holsters due to the stud on the bottom of the platform. And it doesn't look like they make one that specifically fits the Glock platform for the competiton models.

If you like a certain holster and think it will improve your shooting get it. It helps support the sponsors that support the sport. Sometime new gear or a new gun gives the perfect excuse to go practice some more or go to a few more matches, that will make you a better shooter!

I have a ghost and like the fact that my open and Limited guns are out there for all to see and admire! (J/K)

I also have a bladetech doh for production. Yes I can draw almost as fast with a good solid grip but with an open holster I can knock .2-.3 seconds off my average time with a scoop/slap draw on a close open target. That puts me almost 1/2 second ahead of my draw with the DOH. That is a slight advantage at certain times!

Advantage of the DOH are I get a good consistant grip almost every time and I know the gun is securely in place, which is extremely important.

Competition type advantage is it looks good and I still get a good consistant grip but if I throw in some scloop/slap draws I will occasionally have to adjust my grip after the first target because it is not always consistant.

Brian