Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best electronic hearing protection for under $150?

shawnba67

I am thinkin on getting my shooting buddy some electronic hearing protectors for christmas, he has stated he hates the ear muff style because they make his ears sweat(also he admits never having tried good ones).Any advise real world reveiws or comparisons would be greatly appreciated. Am quite interested in opinions on muff style for myself also. Please throw out any info youve got. Thanks Shawn B.

There are quite a number of threads that may help provide feedback. I don't think you are going to find any decent in the ear electronic plugs for even close to $150. You can however find custom plugs with noise filters/baffles for under this price.

In the muff style, I'd recommend either the Howard Leight Impact Sport or the Peltor Tactical Pros. The Tactical Pros provide better hearing protection, comfort, and sound quality. However, they often run a bit closer to $200, though you can occassionally find them for around $150. The Howard Leights are considerably cheaper but not at the same level in terms of quality. As for ears sweating, I'd recommend picking up some of the muff cup covers that Brownells sells. They run around $8 for a set and help with both heat and cold.

Really happy with my Peltor Sport Tac's (muffs). Peltor sells new muffs and foam when fresh ones are needed.

If You're shooting comped guns or riffles Pro Tac-series is better.

Never use plugs but heard a lot of postive about custom molded. There's a bunch of different brands with basicly the same technology.

I had custom plugs made by an audiologist and had them attach a Walker game ear. Best set-up I've ever used. The plugs are about 125 and you can get an older game ear for about the same. Get him a gift certificate for the custom molding and let him get the game ear. Custom plugs are super comfortable and, with the game ear, you can hear all conversation but block the boom.

I had custom plugs made by an audiologist and had them attach a Walker game ear. Best set-up I've ever used. The plugs are about 125 and you can get an older game ear for about the same. Get him a gift certificate for the custom molding and let him get the game ear. Custom plugs are super comfortable and, with the game ear, you can hear all conversation but block the boom.

that sounds awesome. may have to go that route