Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buffer Question

zhunter

I am running a Young Manufacturing National Match Super Light bolt carrier group

My question is, it there a certain weight buffer that will run my AR better?

I see there are anywhere from 3.7, 4.3 and 5.4 oz buffers

I don't remember what stock you had on your rifle? If you have a carbine buffer tube the standard carbine buffer is pretty good... If a rifle buffer tube then you can still use a carbine buffer but you'll need a spacer to take up the extra space. Or you can remove one or more of the weights from the standard rifle buffer and replace them with one our more pieces of aluminum rod to get a lighter rifle buffer.

I've for a Carbine Buffer Tube, and currently using a carbine buffer and spring.

I had a bit of a problem first session out. I think it was the cheap-a$$ mag I had to use as I was shooting off of a bench and had to use a (brand to remain nameless) 10 round mag for clearance as all I had were PMag 30 rounders. The mag would not feed well, and then the bolt would not lock open. I am pretty sure that is the weak link, but just wanted to get ideas on different weight buffers anyway for informational purposes. I am currently using a Spikes ST-T2 Carbine Buffer.

I am going to a "real range" on friday, so I will be able to shoot offhand and rapid fire too to check out the effectiveness of my comp :)

Range report to follow the shooting session

If you have a 16" barrel with carbine or mid length gas and a non adjustable gas block, then a heavier buffer (H3, H3, etc) tends to work better.

With a rifle length gas system on an 18" or 20" barrel or a 16" with adjustable gas, a standard carbine buffer is best.

Mick