Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield XDS and Versacarry

reloader901

After looking at lots of holsters for a Spingfield XDS, and trying some I gave up weeks ago. Last week I heard of, checked out, ant ordered a Versacarry. http://versacarry.com

Some people don't like it, but I like the concept. I don't see much point in purchasing a very small, concealable .45 and bulking it up with a large holster. If anyone is interested I can give you my review after I use it for a while.

Monday 10/15/12 I ordered it by their cheapest slow mail for $3 shipping (rather than priority mail or UPS), so I probably won't have it until late next week (or possibly the following week).

If you don't hear from me by mid November give me a slap to remind me to post my review about it.

I have a sample Versacarry holster sitting on my desk. Minimalist design that fails to cover the triggerguard. Also, it is not possible to reholster without taking the Versacarry out of your waistband. Comfort with a full size M&P was merely OK, the bottom edge was the culprit. Their instructions warn the user not to carry cocked and locked or with a round in the chamber.

I have a sample Versacarry holster sitting on my desk. Minimalist design that fails to cover the triggerguard. Also, it is not possible to reholster without taking the Versacarry out of your waistband. Comfort with a full size M&P was merely OK, the bottom edge was the culprit. Their instructions warn the user not to carry cocked and locked or with a round in the chamber.

The current Versacarry has a one-sided removable trigger guard. Engaging the Springfield XDS trigger safety, the grip safety, and the trigger all at the same time seems a bit unlikely (possible yes, likely no).

For me comfort will be the issue. If the gun discharges in the holster that piece of plastic blowing out of there is going to be the least of my problems.

For me reholstering isn't going to be an issue. If I ever have to unholster the weapon it is unlikely it will be reholstered. This isn't a range holster. My view is this is a deep conceal self protection holster.

Edited by reloader901

The current Versacarry has a one-sided removable trigger guard. Engaging the Springfield XDS trigger safety, the grip safety, and the trigger all at the same time seems a bit unlikely (possible yes, likely no).

For me comfort will be the issue. If the gun discharges in the holster that piece of plastic blowing out of there is going to be the least of my problems.

For me reholstering isn't going to be an issue. If I ever have to unholster the weapon it is unlikely it will be reholstered. This isn't a range holster. My view is this is a deep conceal self protection holster.

To be certain, the design is not for everyone. The failure to completely enclose the trigger guard is a non-starter for me personally. However unlikely, I don't want an errant wad of tucked in shirt to put a new hole in a lower extremity. Second problem (and more likely) arises when donning the rig or when nature calls for a sit down meeting: the logistics of getting your rig on and off poses safety risks sans covered trigger. And now that I consider it a bit more, I'm not sure an obstructed bore is all that spiffy either considering worse case scenarios.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the Versacarry last week and tried it with my XDS.

I liked it alot, but......

I have to keep my belt snug to keep my pants up (with or without a gun). Unholstering the gun was fine, but I couldn't put the gun/holster back on without undoing my belt. I need to EASILY unholster and leave my gun in my car when I go into a no carry place, and then EASILY reholster. Was returned for refund.

Edit: BTW Versacarry's customer service was helpful and good. I felt bad returning it, but I don't want to end up with a bunch of holsters I don't use. Also.... I my pants always fall to my hips that is why I have to wear my belt tight. Perhaps if I had a different body type and could wear a loose belt the Versacarry would have worked for me.

Back to my search for a suitable IWB holster. This is becoming a big and tedious process.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Edited by reloader901

Sorry it didn't work out with the holster. As I mentioned above, it's worth a call to Blade-tech to see about a Nano. I really think that holster would fit the bill perfectly.

I haven't looked at the Blade-tech, but will do so over the next days/weeks.

One that I am possibly interested in is the Comp-Tac Infidel. Supposedly it will not compress if I remove the gun thus I can get back into my car and reholster easily. The biggest problem with this one is the cheapest shipping is Priority Mail at $12 to CT. If it doesn't work I'll be out about $25 in shipping charges.

I REALLY like the OWB paddle holster that comes with the XDS. I wish they made an IWB version. I tried it under my pants/belt and could easily reholster it. Have considered buying another, cutting it up, and making my own IWB if I get desperate.

Not for the XDS, but I've tried just about every carry holster out there over the years (not much of an exaggeration). The CT Infidel is a great holster but it was a bit too thick and uncomfortable for me. I have a very narrow frame and the Infidel tended to dig into my hip. Other than that, it is a very nice holster with a variety of options. If you are looking for an easy on/off design, though, this style of holster is by far the easiest IMO. In terms of comfort, it's tough to beat the hybrid holsters (Crossbreed Supertuck, Comtac MTAC, etc) but they are more difficult to take on/off and are more bulky.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out carrying OWB depending on your attire. If going this route, I would take a look at the Raven Concealment Systems Phantom holster. Other than the muzzle being outside of your pants, this holster conceals as well as just about any IWB I've ever used.

I use a Comp-Tac minitaur for my IWB holster for my M&P compact. It is a very comfortable holster to wear all day, very secure, and I have not had any issues with drawing or holstering the pistol. I think it looks a lot bulkier than it actually is. Just another thing to think about ;)

• 1 month later...

I ended up with an N82 Tactical Professional.

It is comfortable (for me) and stays open allowing for easy reholstering upon returning to my vehicle after being in a no carry place such as a post office.

My experience was good customer service.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2