Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Idea Why Short AR Carbine Barrels Cost More Than Long?

Mark K

Thinking of just buying a long heavy barrel and cutting it down, and having a machinist friend thread it for the comp......

Mark K

Would he do this and ream the gas port for less than 50$? It's easy enough to do, but is worth it to you?

The price difference is def. related to demand, but also that everyone is setup to produce 16" barrels, and this is the industry standard...a shorter barrel is more of a "specialty" item if you will...it's not necessarily the amount of material that you're paying for.

I think it also has to do with volume. I think they have to reset everything for a small run of shorties while they sell fewer than the 16"s. Same cost to change set amortized over less barrels equals higher cost.

I also looks like the cost to cut a longer one down is close enough to the delta in price, especially if you consider shipping both way, loss of warranty, etc. And who knows how it's going to shoot.

I've never cut one down, but I considered it once and Mike from Tornado talked me out of it. There's more to it than just cutting it. There also seems to be a process to relieve stress that should be performed as well. If it were me, I'd just buy it how you want it. Small difference in price once you consider how much you'll spend on ammo to go down said barrel.

:)