Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Primer pockets tight

lablover

JUst got some once fired brass and started loading it up. I noticed that when seating the primers (Dillon 650XL) they were a bit tight. I could get them to seat flush but not below the rim? The Brass is once fired from cop shop. Headstamp says WIN 9mm Luger.

Like a bone head I did not see if there was a crimp after deprived but did not notice one while they had the old primers. I heard the WWC are crimped but also heard the WIN are not. just got 3000 of them. Anyway to make those pockets a little looser :)

EDIT: I just decaped a few and I dont see any sign of a crimp. I did measure the depth and compared to a speer (.119) The WIN was .116 hmmm They loaded OK but i'd like to get the primer below flush and I did have to slow down the speed I was loading at.

Any suggestions? ideas on what this might be?

Thanks

Win used to be my favorite 9mm brass, and I have a ton of it saved from when I used to buy the Winchester 100 packs before I got into reloading. I've heard their newer brass is not as desireable, and FC is the new "premium" once fired brass.

A super swage 600 will fix them, and come in handy if you ever get into any .mil caliber rifle reloading.

Now being new to dillon and progressives, the super swage is the hand swaging right? Wasn't sure they had something that goes on the press.

Retread, I may take you up on that. Let me research the swager thingie first :) I also have a butt load of wcc as well

EDIT AGAIN...so if the WIN does not have a crimp, will swaging still help? I dont see a crimp, could they just be real tight? I have no probs buying the super swage but would hate to get it and find it does nothing for these cases with no crimps

Edited by lablover

Swaging can still help by rounding the lip of the primer pocket. I bought my Super Swage for 5.56mm brass, but have ended up using it on Aguila .30 carbine, which was not crimped, but was very hard to seat primers in.

Tried something. I deprimed a few of the WIN cases and then used my RCBS hand priming tool. Seated perfect with a little below flush. I wonder if my 650 needs some type of adjustment for the win cases? everything works great with allthe other cases. I saw on here I think where someone stuck a shim under the punch support bracket?

Good thing I already have a few thousand loaded. I changed over to 223 for now so it's not like I need to worry about it right now. It is making me a little crazy. Called Dillon and they said it only needs to be flush and I'm probably deforming the primer with the hand primer????

Edited by lablover

I have run into some Win. 38 special like that. A careful examination showed that the pockets were a little tight with quite a square edge around the rim of the hole. The combination of tightness and square edge caused a lot of primers to get crunched in the seating process. I swaged the pockets on my Rock Chucker, then they loaded just fine.

Something else you can do, but it's slow...is if you have a chamfer/debur tool, you can use the pointy end in the primer pocket to cut the edge off it. It works...but probably not highly recommended nor practical if you have a bunch of brass.