Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 22 Major Load Help

Tpb10505

I've decided to try my hand at limited shooting, and have done lots of searching and reading on this forum but there's almost too much to digest. I've reloaded 308 before but never handgun, will be reloading w/ a Dillon SDB.

I'll be using Unique Precision 180gr lead in a Barsto barrel. Most of what I've read has suggested WSF and VV320. Just looking for a little starting load help for a newb. Thanks!

From Alliant's website - they show 180gr Speer Bullets with 6.7gr of Unique set at 1.12" for a velocity of 1000fps.

I have a pound of Unique I was going to try as well with Rainier 180s. I was going to start at 6.2gr and work up till I make major in my Edge, but I will be loading to 1.18".

I suggest starting at 6gr for the G22.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=180&shellid=29&bulletid=42

Thanks for the link OU (Go Pokes!). I keep hearing 200gr wont work in a Glock, but what about with the aftermarket barrel?

I will turn a blind eye to the OSU reference in case my wife stumbles across this post. It's not that 200gr won't work, as much as the .40 caliber for our game plays into the hand of the 180gr. It seems to offer the best combination of recoil/handling while making major of all the bullet weights.

I'm kind of a knuckle head, which means if someone says "do it this way" then I won't. So I bought some small lots of different bullet grains. Tried them all out using mostly bill drills at 15yrds.

When it was all said and done I settled on the 180gr. If you shoot 200gr better than you shoot 180gr, then have at it. I know a few guys that could actually see a difference between the 175 and 180 LSWC.

I figured 180s would be the safe way go, looks like I need to find a few powders. I picked up some used brass from precision delta and I'm at .10 a rd w/out powder and primers. Excited to be able to load some good inexpensive ammo.

Should be an interesting one in Lubbock this weekend!

Thanks for the link OU (Go Pokes!). I keep hearing 200gr wont work in a Glock, but what about with the aftermarket barrel?

I will turn a blind eye to the OSU reference in case my wife stumbles across this post. It's not that 200gr won't work, as much as the .40 caliber for our game plays into the hand of the 180gr. It seems to offer the best combination of recoil/handling while making major of all the bullet weights.

I'm kind of a knuckle head, which means if someone says "do it this way" then I won't. So I bought some small lots of different bullet grains. Tried them all out using mostly bill drills at 15yrds.

When it was all said and done I settled on the 180gr. If you shoot 200gr better than you shoot 180gr, then have at it. I know a few guys that could actually see a difference between the 175 and 180 LSWC.

I shoot zero 200`s with 4.7grs of n340 from my G22 with no issues.Last I chrono averaged 178-180 pf.Precision molys shoot alot hotter at 185pf all from a stock barrel.

I use a 185 gr Precision moly bullet with 4.5 grains of VV N320 set at an overall length of 1.135. That is in a Glock 35 with a fitted BarSto barrel. The load is at a 170+ power factor so it ought to work in the slightly shorter Glock 22 as well. You might have to bump it a tenth of a grain or so with a 180 lead bullet (probably different profile) and shorter barrel, but start at 4.4 - 4.5 grains of 320 and go from there. The load shows no excess pressure signs in my gun, but start low and work up if necessary. I do know a few other Glock shooters that use this load.