Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Run of the mill M4 Suggestion

Sarge

So, have you picked a rifle yet? If not, are you leaning toward one? At lease narrowed the field?

As a matter of fact yes I have. I got some good advice from a local LEO last night. He had ran most of the brands mentioned that Stags were pretty good guns for the money.

Today I was at lunch and stopped in to a new local gun dealers shop and he had Stags for about the same as I could get them from Bud's so I bought a model 3. I paid $750 plus tax for it.

Now we can discuss Optics and back up irons for a while. eatdrink.gif

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, have you picked a rifle yet? If not, are you leaning toward one? At lease narrowed the field?

As a matter of fact yes I have. I got some good advice from a local LEO last night. He had ran most of the brands mentioned that Stags were pretty good guns for the money.

Today I was at lunch and stopped in to a new local gun dealers shop and he had Stags for about the same as I could get them from Bud's so I bought a model 3. I paid $750 plus tax for it.

Congratulations!!! I think it is a good choice and sounds like a really good price.

Tar

For back up irons do you see yourself using them much or are they just for emergencies. I used to run Troy on my rifles and their nice but they cost a lot I have since sold them all and only two of my rifles have backup irons. One is the SCAR with the OEM sights and the other is a Noveske carbine with Magpul sights. Yes the Troys are more robust but for as much as I need them the Magpuls work fine. For optics what do you want? Scope (1-4 1-6 etc) or a red dot sight or an ACOG? I prefer low power variables even on patrol rifles. If your going to get a red dot get the H1 or T1 Aimpoint great optics that are light weight and rugged. For ACOGs the TA33 3x is light weight and is very easy to use. Yes I have experience with all the optics mentioned.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

For back up irons do you see yourself using them much or are they just for emergencies. I used to run Troy on my rifles and their nice but they cost a lot I have since sold them all and only two of my rifles have backup irons. One is the SCAR with the OEM sights and the other is a Noveske carbine with Magpul sights. Yes the Troys are more robust but for as much as I need them the Magpuls work fine. For optics what do you want? Scope (1-4 1-6 etc) or a red dot sight or an ACOG? I prefer low power variables even on patrol rifles. If your going to get a red dot get the H1 or T1 Aimpoint great optics that are light weight and rugged. For ACOGs the TA33 3x is light weight and is very easy to use. Yes I have experience with all the optics mentioned.

Pat

Thanks for your info Pat. I never doubted your experience. cheers.gif Without a doubt the backups will be exactly that, backups in case all else fails. I can see not spending more than absolutely needed and getting a decent product from somebody like magpul. I'm probably looking at a red dot or maybe a low power scope. I'm not going to spend the money for an ACOG just so it can hang on my gun room wall 363 days a year.

I'm guessing I'll need some type of riser set up for the optics in order to use the irons if needed? Suggestions?

Pat

Thanks for your info Pat. I never doubted your experience. cheers.gif Without a doubt the backups will be exactly that, backups in case all else fails. I can see not spending more than absolutely needed and getting a decent product from somebody like magpul. I'm probably looking at a red dot or maybe a low power scope. I'm not going to spend the money for an ACOG just so it can hang on my gun room wall 363 days a year.

I'm guessing I'll need some type of riser set up for the optics in order to use the irons if needed? Suggestions?

For the red dot just get a Larue or ADM mount set up for either lower 1/3 co witness or absolute co-witness. I prefer lower 1/3.

cowitness.jpg

Ironsup.jpg

2.jpg

You just flip the sights up when you need them and put them down when you don't. Some people prefer to run fixed sights and always co-witness their sights and red dot. If you run a lower power variable I actually prefer off set sights like those that come with the STAG 3G. Its easier to tilt the rifle than it is to remove the scope, even with a QD mount.

Here is an example.

N4sideironssetup.jpg

SideIrons.jpg

The Aimpoint pro is also a good red dot for the money. I prefer the micro's for the weight savings.

Pat

Picking up the gun next week. I'm going to put a set of magpul sights on it for now. I'll also pick up a case of ball ammo in the next few weeks as well. Those are the biggies in case supplies start drying up again if the upcoming, you know what, goes the wrong way again. I'll study optics for a few months and probably ask Santa for one.

• 2 weeks later...